Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Part Three: New thread while Thor and Lee's book is in Publication

forum rss feed
Author

JB050 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 379 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Aug 19, 16:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lsgp. I also thank you again for that documentary. As we have talked about Rose’s insight and after watching it again. It stood out to me that she said she had also gone to boarding school and they talked about their experiences together. Did that strike anyone else? Since sounded like he didn’t do that too much.

It was nice tho hear he had someone to talk with and about it. And having Peter there, who also understood.

That’s all for me for now. :-)

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1044 posts

Posted: 10 Aug 19, 16:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

JB, I think it helped them connect to each other they were both art students both went to boarding school.It really helped him having that friend that understood so many areas that he was struggling with at the time.I just wish she could've been a positive female friend for him for the remainder of his life every man needs a strong woman even if it's just a friend.

Amidds user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 199 posts

Posted: 10 Aug 19, 18:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh Lgsp, I keep forgetting to thank you for the video link. It seemed very similar to Days of Our Lives vid but with some extra people I haven’t seen before, so very interesting!

I don’t know if this is allowable so I’m not putting out an actual offer per se....I do intend to make a copy of the As It Began book as it is out of copy and so hard to find. SInce it is out of print, does anyone know if I’d be violating any rules by offering to share? Please don’t yell at me for being stupid lol!

Also, thanks to everyone for sharing details of the concerts. You have all really convinced me to check it out....sounds like such a wonderful and emotional experience. Now, hopefully I won’t have to drive too far to see it!

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 541 posts

Posted: 10 Aug 19, 19:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi everyone...back from vacation,

Thor and Lee...looking forward to any sneak preview that may be coming...maybe even a glimpse of the cover! :)

I had to laugh to myself after reading the posts regarding CD's and cassettes. My husband's new car (our travel car) does not have a CD player. My husband downloaded all my Queen music onto a flash drive, but we haven't tried it yet. Not sure if using a USB allows us to skip around or replay a song? Maybe it is controlled through the touch screen...I am totally lost. I am glad my car has a CD player so that I can listen to my Queen music in the manner I am accustomed to...fumbling around for my two CD holders and quickly scanning for the CD I want.

I recently heard several 70's songs on the radio that I loved singing to as a teen...on my parent's 8-track tape player! They also had a Johnny Cash 8-track tape that I listened to a lot. That makes cassettes look modern. There might not be too many people here who remember using those.

Love hearing everyone's experiences at the Queen + AL shows. JB050....I, too, was very moved when Freddie came on the big screen...it truly was emotional and powerful like you said...I had more than a few tears! I would love to have been sitting as close as you were. I desperately wanted to go to the Madison Square Garden show a couple days later, but that didn't happen. I could easily watch the concert several times and never get bored. I love a recent pic, taken at the MSG show, with Brian wearing a Freddie tee-shirt.

Jo T...I'm also curious if you noticed any difference between the two shows. I have seen pictures of Brian wearing the mask and cyborg suit, but he did not wear that for the show I saw. I am wondering if it was due to being so hot on stage...even Adam commented on how hot it was. The crowd energy was quite different for this recent show compared to the ones I saw in 2017. It was much better this time. Even the parking lot was exciting. People came early to have tailgate parties. We passed many fans who had chairs set out, a table with food and drink, playing Queen music. There was definitely a party atmosphere. I met a couple of young folks who now love Queen music and listen to it all the time because of the movie...they were attending their first Queen show.

Regarding Freddie's parents. I can only imagine how pained they were to see the deterioration of their son. Freddie was obviously quite guarded in who he told about his illness. It was not a topic he wished to dwell on, even with those he shared that info with. Maybe Freddie and his parents communicated in other ways that didn't involve talking about his situation aloud, but signaled that they were aware...things that we would never know about such as an extra long hug or kiss when saying good-by, telling Freddie to call if he needs anything, maybe his mother giving him an extra large tin of the cheesy biscuits he loved. They could have cried every time he left their house. The possibilities are endless. Peter Freestone tells us in his book that Freddie's parents and sister, her husband, and children came over during that last week to visit with Freddie and that they wanted to come over again later that week. There were not many people Freddie let visit him during those final days...It says something about their relationship that he wanted them there.

Chevy...you mentioned that every man needs a strong woman...even if only as a friend...that you wish Rose could have been that person for him. In this instance, I simply rely on Freddie's own words on multiple occasions...by his own admission, Mary was that female friend for him.

emdee...I'd like to attend a Breakthru conference. I'm hoping it's closer this coming year. I wonder if Peter goes every year?

Amidds...I'm not sure copyright restrictions end because a book is out of print. I'm guessing they don't. Nice of you to want to share, as copying would be a lot of work on your part, but you might want to check on the legalities of that first. :)

Posted: 10 Aug 19, 19:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow, I meant to say having another strong female friend is a healthy balance for your female friends to mingle .One female friend that still may hold a romantic interest for you is shaky ground and unhealthy.It seems Mary had a problem with any woman that got near him .Even any man he got serious with like Jim for instance.Thats not a healthy balanced friendship I'm talking about that's controlling that's just my take on things.

Posted: 10 Aug 19, 20:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If Mary still harbored any romantic interest, she covered it well by dating and giving birth to one child and getting ready to have a second child with the same man during the last couple years of Freddie's life. In one of his "Ask Phoebe" columns, Peter Freestone was asked about Freddie and Mary's partners. He responded that Freddie got on well with her partners and was on "very good terms" with the father of her children. (Blog 76) Peter also said that much has been written about Mary, both good and bad, and like most reported stories, they don't bear much relation to the truth. (Blog 7) As far as how Mary felt about Barbara...maybe she was concerned about Freddie, just as other friends were during that time period. That Freddie respected Mary's feeling and opinions is obvious from all that has been said...that Freddie was controlled by Mary's feelings is not documented as far as I know.

Posted: 10 Aug 19, 21:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Barbara was a bit of a free spirit I think I realise she wasnt the best influence but until she started telling those terrible lies I think she accepted him as he was.

DCQueenLuvr user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 28 posts

Posted: 10 Aug 19, 21:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Didn't Peter say that Mary became more "demanding" once Barbara came into Freddie's life? I don't know if she felt her status as Number One Girlfriend was threatened, or if she was alarmed that Barbara enabled his wild, free-wheeling lifestyle. Perhaps both.

Posted: 10 Aug 19, 22:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

DC, I dont know about that one in my opinion like I was trying to explain I feel any relationship that took attention away from her threatened her.I dont think she recovered from their separation she appeared to move on but I think she still had strong emotional feelings for him stemming from their relationship.Womens emotions are alot different than mens.Men move forward easier than women.I can't say I can blame her for loving him you can't control who you love but her actions moving forward weren't the best in my opinion.I think this subject we should be able to talk about without conflict I know on fb we do and they are the same ladies that post here that i have grown to care for.They know way more than i do doughnut i wish they would stop by more.

Amidds user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 199 posts

Posted: 10 Aug 19, 23:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow, good point! I certainly didn’t think of that and believe you are correct, thanks.

Just came across this article regarding Bo Rhap: https://www.cbc.ca/arts/an-open-letter-to-the-many-fans-of-bohemian-rhapsody-from-a-concerned-queer-1.4892284. I think it is a rather fair assessment ( that I agree with) and reminded me strongly of something that was brought up here. Can’t possibly find the page I am referring to but thought it would interest some. Fair warning, it is a slightly negative review about how they portrayed FM’s sexuality and Aids diagnosis.

Posted: 10 Aug 19, 23:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds, yep I totally didn't get what they were doing with that film.Parts of it were laughable.It portrayed Freddie's life only making sense when he was in the arms of a woman and he went down hill after leaving her.Which isn't true .I dont know much but I will tell you those times he spent with her lying to her were probably some of the most depressing times in his life.When a person is actually able to break free and be themselves it's like a weight lifted off them.His music probably helped him in these hard times keeping busy.Society thinks they make the rules who is good and who is evil.Society doesnt like different they dont like change.Society wants to put everyone in this little box and teach them what is proper and not proper.I say any human being should be free to love whoever they want..They can be with a man or woman 50 years as far as I'm concerned and if they want something different in10 fine with me as long as that makes them happy.

Terri557 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 14 posts

Posted: 11 Aug 19, 00:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey ?? All! my name is Teresa.

Thor- I’m new here but I wanted to thank both you and Lee for sharing your experiences with the fans. I’m a huge Freddie Mercury fan from Long Island, Nassau County, New York. I was brought up in Garden City, New York, I believe just one town over from your early days( Uniondale, if I’m not mistaken) Your stories about Jones Beach, the city ect... hit home. I was curious if you ever did a midnight show at the mini cinema back in the day, of course concerts at the Nassau Coliseum , shopping at Roosevelt Field Mall ect.. So looking forward to your book....

Posted: 11 Aug 19, 03:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello Teresa and welcome. Roosevelt Field Mall....I used to work there at the B. Dalton Bookstore...one of my favorite part-time jobs before I started teaching. I never saw a concert at the Coliseum, but I did see Dan Fogelberg at the Westbury Music Fair. Super show!

Lsgp03 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lsgp03
Bohemian: 120 posts

Posted: 11 Aug 19, 03:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

JB050 wrote:

Lsgp. I also thank you again for that documentary. As we have talked about Rose’s insight and after watching it again. It stood out to me that she said she had also gone to boarding school and they talked about their experiences together. Did that strike anyone else? Since sounded like he didn’t do that too much.

It was nice tho hear he had someone to talk with and about it. And having Peter there, who also understood.

That’s all for me for now. :-)

You are SO welcome! and everyone else too!

doughnut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 670 posts

Posted: 11 Aug 19, 10:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Morning , rainbow if you scroll back a few pages to the blog I shared of Peter's tour of Kensington recently , he does confirm that Mary was able to inf!hence some of Freddie's decisions and he said 'to the outside world Mary was the greiving widow , whilst inside Jim was in bits , the true widow is what I assumed he meant.

Peter did also say in his second book that Mary got more demanding when Barbara was in his !ife. Although we know she wasn't that good for him , Peter did say it was a healthier friendship than Mary as it came free of guult.

Furthermore Mary herself said it felt like they had said their vows through sickness and health.I'd say it was c!ear
d she couldn't move on.
Piers wasn't able to live in Freddie's shadow. No man could match Freddie which is understandable.

I'd say she like!y found it hard seeing Freddie have relationships.

?

Posted: 11 Aug 19, 10:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie being Freddie also said in an interview that no-one compares to barbara. He was very contraditive. I think Mary was the sensible person in his life and Barbara the fun one . He said himself he liked fun bubbly women and that Mary was quiet .

DCQueenLuvr user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 28 posts

Posted: 11 Aug 19, 12:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Doughnut, do you know when Piers left Mary? I just read Jim Hutton's book Mercury and Me, and he said that when Freddie died, Mary and Piers were preparing to move in to Garden Lodge with their son Richard. I'm curious to know why he'd break up with her AFTER Freddie had died, if he felt Freddie was competition.

I think you're right about Mary being the sensible one. Freddie said he "referred" to her quite a bit. He sought her counsel on issues partly because she knew him so well, and partly because she was sensible and trustworthy. Jim said that towards the end Freddie distanced himself from Barbara and Peter Straker and his other life-is-a-party type friends, because he was no longer in the mood to party. Since Mary was not the party animal type, she remained in his inner circle to the very end.

JB050 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 379 posts

Posted: 11 Aug 19, 15:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Rainbow!! Welcome back! Glad you got to make a vacation out of it!!!! I’m still reeling from the concert. Replies to your post:

Thor and Lee...looking forward to any sneak preview that may be coming...maybe even a glimpse of the cover! :)

I recently heard several 70's songs on the radio that I loved singing to as a teen...on my parent's 8-track tape player! There might not be too many people here who remember using those.
——- oh yes! My parents had an 8-track player too! I remember those tapes well. Haha.

Love hearing everyone's experiences at the Queen + AL shows. JB050....I, too, was very moved when Freddie came on the big screen...it truly was emotional and powerful like you said. I love a recent pic, taken at the MSG show, with Brian wearing a Freddie tee-shirt.

——-I love that pic and shirt too. Would be great to get one. Wonder if it is one of s kind? Very touching that he wore that. And at Madison Square Garden.

Jo T...I'm also curious if you noticed any difference between the two shows. I have seen pictures of Brian wearing the mask and cyborg suit, but he did not wear that for the show I saw.

—-/he did wear it in Chicago. I gather so far a few of the changes was playing somebody to live before In Lap Of...and moving Show Must... to first in encore which was really powerful, I thought, to start just after the Ayo.

I am wondering if it was due to being so hot on stage...even Adam commented on how hot it was.

——Wow! Really?

young folks who now love Queen music and listen to it all the time because of the movie...
—— I agree ! Am so glad that this is being “brought back” for the generations.

Posted: 11 Aug 19, 15:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't know when piers and mary ended their relationship . When I say he felt he was living in Freddie's shadow , I say this as this is what Mary said . I'm not sure if he was jea!ous , I think there was probably much more to it than that and I'd say Mary herself would agree.
I'm her own words she said she felt she had lost her eternal love and it should have been her to go first . I'd say that's quite a statement which gives us a clue piers and others had to fight for her affections.

Posted: 11 Aug 19, 15:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Regarding rosemary , she has confirmed that Freddie was open with her and often lusted after men which is what the nail in the coffin was in the end .

I'm guessing Freddie perhaps did what many did back then and that's to try and live a heterosexual life . David Evans talks about this in his own book .
Freddie went into his relationship with Mary knowing he was gay and his urge to be with men was in the end stronger . He had told David minns that before him he had been with men whilst away on tour and with a boy at St Peter's .

Freddie wanted to cling onto rosemary but she did the best thing and took herself away for her own sanity . Mary didn't do this but as Peter says , Freddie clearly felt very guilty with how he had hurt Mary .

I'm rambling now lol