Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Part Three: New thread while Thor and Lee's book is in Publication

forum rss feed
Author

NotQuiteAShilling user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 145 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Aug 19, 04:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SM so good to see you back here - even if so brief. I always admired your fierce loyalty to "Mr. Mercury" and to lovely Jim.

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 541 posts

Posted: 14 Aug 19, 05:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

HelloDelilah...I agree. It wasn't until the release of Bohemian Rhapsody in 1975 that the band had a really big hit. Mary and Freddie ended their dating relationship a year later after being together for about 6 years. She and Freddie were a couple during the lean time when the band was not making any money and she was the main bread winner, but not a couple during the more financially successful period from Bo-Rhap on.

doughnut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 670 posts

Posted: 14 Aug 19, 09:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Morning all , thanks for the Barnes and noble information. I must have seen many people on here fb.

I understand what Chevy is trying to say and may I refer you to chapter 8 of ' what he left behind ' by Peter freestone. This chapter explains Mary's role in Freddie's life and the life that she found herself in after Freddie's death. The life she has found herself tethered to the past and as Peter said ' did Freddie know what he was condemning her to '

This was in 2003 and after a,visit to GL. I truly hope she has been able to let go of the past and move on for her own sake and that of her children . Peter said Nick whom she married tried to drag her away from the past but Freddie was far to strong for nick..

It's reported Mary did support them in the early days and it's said a lot of Freddie's guilt was born out of the years with Mary being one of deception as he may have explored the practicalities of being gay and while she was at work he had time in his hands . As I said before he knew he was gay when he entered a relationship with her and due to the hurt he caused her , felt bound to always look after her .

There is so much more in this chapter which explains what Chevy is trying to say .
I'll finish on agreeing with what peter said and I agree with in that most women would have backed away from the situation but instead she stayed with determination committing her feelings of betrayal into those of hurt, but brave best friend and an ever present reminder of the alternative life which he could still choose when that other business had played itself out.

Bijou lyrics are beautiful and I like to believe it's Freddie and Jim . As he said his lyrics were open to interpretation. The song is a Freddie creations but isn't one of my favs .

Jb050 Radio ga ga is now a firm fav for me and one I play when I need cheering up , I especially love the live version .

CHEVYMAN user is on Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1043 posts

Posted: 14 Aug 19, 14:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello Del,Mary is a tough subject to tackle what I dont get those 3 other band members all actually married to their wives and those wives didn't get the face time or discussion of this short relationship of Mary Austin.I do think people feel sorry for her to me she did it to herself.This is the way I see it she basically had a roommate she paid most of everything for a while.You dont have a boyfriend for 2 years and not have sex with them.They are either cheating on you or in his case he was gay.She knew he was gay before he told her I'm dont buy the fact she didn't know.She plays a sympathy card and I think she might of played it with Freddie.To me she was a manipulative woman and he was a really nice guy and loved his friend.Doughnut,You said she was waiting for him to return to her after he was finished .She doesnt realize the man she claimed to love was gay. If it were even possible she wouldn't have the man she fell in love with.She wanted to change him the whole person to suit her needs how unfair.

Posted: 14 Aug 19, 15:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello Del, I meant to say hi before I dived into that conversation.I also do appreciate your input on the subject we were discussing .We dont always agree but as long as there is respect we are good.If you ever want to message anyone about something hit that PM button at the bottom and you can send them a private conversation or message.

Posted: 14 Aug 19, 16:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow, I think Freddie had been working on that masterpiece of a song since his college days.I think it was first titled the cowboy song.Can you imagine leaving it with that title?I love it.But I guess it wouldn't be the same.

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 541 posts

Posted: 14 Aug 19, 21:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think we can all concede that "Mary" is a topic for which there will NEVER be a consensus. As I've mentioned before, we really know very little about her in the years after Freddie passed. What we do know is that Freddie was a very smart, generous, and caring man. I don't need to second guess Freddie's relationship choices. He loved Mary and wanted her to be a part of his life. She loved him and wanted to be a part of his life. Beyond that, I don't need to define what their relationship was or criticize the nature of it. They deeply cared about one another...and that is pretty special. I also respect Mary's decision to remain quiet despite the relentless criticism over the years. She has taken a page from the "Freddie Play-Book" on that one. But Mary is not the only person Freddie cared deeply about. Freddie got to spend the last years of his life with a partner he loved and who brought him much needed solace from the craziness of being a global rock star. Someone who stood by him through the darkest of times. That is truly special as well.

For the sake of harmony at this fun gathering place of Freddie fans far and wide, I agree to disagree with those who see things in a different light.

Posted: 14 Aug 19, 22:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh Jesus, let's stop this topic I think it is worn out.We have passed this around so many times it doesnt remember where it's been right.Rainbow,I agree with you I think Jim was a wonderful man for anyone to have spent their final years with.He reminds you of one of those old country boys.It says alot for him to stand by his dying boyfriend when alot of people given the opportunity would of just left.

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 516 posts

Posted: 14 Aug 19, 22:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow, I can't tell you how grateful I am for your post. I have found myself unable to come here for over a week because it's been so discouraging to me. I went to my Queen concert yesterday, got home at 1:30 in the morning and came here eager to share with you all again. But when I saw the same old things that have been said over and over and over, it took the air out of my balloon and I just left. As Rainbow said, for the sake of harmony and the people who both post and lurk here I agree to disagree.

I'm going to try to regain the joy here and share a bit...…………..

So, it was the BEST concert I've ever seen and I've seen a lot over the years. We drove up to Columbus to see the guys, got there early and went to the Mongolian Grill for dinner. The last thing I wanted to do was eat because I was so excited, but the atmosphere in the restaurant was great .About half the people had on Freddie tee shirts and when their sound system began to play Queen music, the patrons erupted in cheers. We got to the arena early and while we weren't down on the floor I was pleased with our seats. We were on the club level which is smaller and more intimate that any of the upper levels. We could see perfectly, had aisle seats, and could easily move around. I had time to load the flashlight app on my phone because I wanted to be ready for LOML. When the arena lights went out, the crowd roared and Brian and Roger appeared out of the smoke, followed quickly by Adam. Freddie was acknowledged throughout the concert and in just the right amount. Adam is incredible. He's fun to watch and his voice is wonderful. I found my eyes on Brian most of the time though. To think that at his age, he's still so vital. The man is a guitar god. Roger was fabulous too! There was so much to watch and take in. I understand people who want to go to a second concert immediately after seeing this one. By the end of the evening my voice was shot between singing, whooooing and best of all, participating in Freddie's call and response. I knew that was going to happen and I thought I might cry because I am kind of an emotional sap at times, but I was so overjoyed to see him that I just lept in and participated. I'm so glad I went because I would be very surprised to see them tour the US again, and to have them appear within two hours of my home was a dream and bucket list experience.

JB050 user is on Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 376 posts

Posted: 14 Aug 19, 23:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katydyd5.......sooooo glad your back!! Was thinking about you!

Loved reading your concert description. I can feel the excitement and energy. I agree that was extraordinary! After it was over I said what just happened. Haha. I truly felt transported. So glad you had an amazing time!!

And the restaurant. Sounds so fun. It’s so fun being surrounded by our like-minded and sharing the energy. I was daydreaming of finding away to see another one :-))

Posted: 14 Aug 19, 23:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow—- beautifully said!!!!!

Terri557 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 14 posts

Posted: 15 Aug 19, 01:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Chevyman I too was always attracted to the bad boy, however , I thankfully ended up marrying a very good guy. A Jim Hutton if you will and Irish too. Freddie would probably have accused us of being boring but I can’t imagine raising children in an unstable environment.
JB050 Thanks for the welcome. I also remember acting out some of the songs or dancing to them with my friend. I’ll never forget one day as I was walking up the stairs to her room and hearing what sounded like someone banging on garbage cans. She had just purchased NOTW and was listening to We Will Rock You. I was in shock! I never heard anything like it. So bold, so loud, so in your face. I didn’t, however, become a fanatic until I saw Freddie performing at Live Aid. He really won me over with that performance. My husband who thinks they are a pretty good band describes his performance as “intoxicating”
Rainbow61 I can’t believe I gave all my albums away! My son is very much into music and I wish I could have given them to him. All my Queen, Rolling Stones, David Bowie, Pink Floyd ect...oh well.
Do you still live in the area? I’m still in Nassau County but thinking of moving west. It would be nice to live some where with less humidity!

Posted: 15 Aug 19, 02:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Terri,

I love your We Will Rock You story! I love how we all remember our early Queen moments... of course!

The greatest thing is when we were kids, love of music was an instant emotional connection. We didn’t know back stories or have access like now.

Great word “intoxicating”

I agree about Live Aid. Staggering to realize how many people around the world were pulled in and felt the same thing at the same time.

I remember seeing him at the microphone, sweat pouring, the lights on him— and Freddie all over the stage..,,,from piano to ‘ impromptu movements’
I was A teenager, I had never seen anything like that.

Posted: 15 Aug 19, 02:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Doughnut.

(Jb050 Radio ga ga is now a firm fav for me and one I play when I need cheering up , I especially love the live version .)

That’s so cool!!! Very powerful.

Posted: 15 Aug 19, 02:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Terri, I was kinda a bit wild in the day but I have gotten mello the last few years.Yes I did like the bad boys but the funny thing is they scared me to death.I always took a friend with me I preferred not to be alone with them.I was all talk I guess but I did like them.I do get myself in a little trouble here but what the hell the boss will let me know if I'm out of line.I love pink Floyd we were just talking about them.David Bowie I never cared for he was a bit strange even for me.So you got to go to the live Aid concert that's cool .I was 12 or so back then that was so long ago.

Jo T. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jo T.
Bohemian: 114 posts

Posted: 15 Aug 19, 04:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@Katydyd5, I'm so glad you had a fabulous time @ the concert! I had eagerly awaited your report. Believe it or not, as crazy as it sounds, I was BRIEFLY tempted to see it again in your neck of the woods (It's only a 3.5 to 4-hour drive for me one-way.), but work beckoned. Because the concert fell on a Tues. night, I would've had to take a couple of days off work. I should be happy I got to see it a 2nd time - in Chicago. It was for the reason like you said, Queen may not tour the U.S. again. I agree. Brian IS a guitar god. Well, because of you spreading the word on the thread, I can look forward to "WWRY" in the fall. Then, Thor and Lee's book should be out in late 2019 or the 1st quarter of 2020. There's more to come!

Posted: 15 Aug 19, 11:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jo, they went from Columbus down to Nashville and that would have been very reachable for me. However, I don't think there are really any tickets left and it also would have meant a hotel, etc. I'm still reliving the concert in my mind and I still can't believe I was there. Before the concert even started the feel of the crowd, strangers talking to each other about their shirts, previous Queen experiences they'd had, how they came to love Queen, etc was just amazing. It was like being in an arena with friends. I was trying to explain to a friend who has not been able to go about the huge bust of Freddie that appeared and I was so inadequate in describing it that I looked for a picture online. I had seen one on FB but it was part of a video and now I can't find another picture anywhere. If anyone knows what I am talking about and has seen one and can give me a link I'd appreciate it.

Posted: 15 Aug 19, 12:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Facebook came through! Someone just posted the photo I was looking for. Thanks to anyone who thought about trying to find one for me.

FreddieDarling user not visiting Queenzone.com
FreddieDarling
Bohemian: 567 posts

Posted: 15 Aug 19, 13:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well said, Rainbow.

Yes, we can all see certain behaviours exhibited by Mary which we find hard to fathom, or condone, it we should respect that Freddie trusted and loved her very, very much and wanted her as a part of his life (and not just as a "beard")

Peter Freestone always says that as far as friends went (though often NOT with lovers!) Freddie was usually a good judge of character, and was only mistaken in giving his trust to people a couple of times. One, being, obviously, Paul Prenter.

I'm sure we can all agree to differ on our opinions on the people Freddie chose to have in his life, and respect the other person's view.

Katydyd5, I'm thrilled for you that you attended a Q+AL concert! Wow! What an experience. Money well spent as the memories and feelings the experience gave you will be with your to take out and cherish for all time! Fabulous!

Hope everyone is well, and enjoying themselves. Are you all considering buying the revamped Treasures of Queen book ?

Welcome to all our lovely newbies. I hope you find enrichment, enjoyment and new information on Thor and Lee's thread. I look forward to them being back with us.

I will ,as usual, be making a donation to Mercury Phoenix Trust on Freddie's Birthday.
Take Care All

TTFN

FreddieDarling

Posted: 15 Aug 19, 14:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nice to see you FreddieDarling! I also want to extend a welcome to the newbies who have come in recently!

I know the Treasures of Queen book has been discussed here but I don't remember much of what was said. I did check out Amazon but it's rather vague. FD, what do you know? By "revamped" does that mean there is new material? I will probably pass this book up because I have so many books now that I'm thinking this will just be a rehash of what I already have.

A question about MPT: FD, do you make a direct donation to the charity? I was looking at some of the things in the shop on the official site, but does the entire purchase price go to MPT or only a portion?