Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Part Three: New thread while Thor and Lee's book is in Publication

forum rss feed
Author

Rainbow61 user is on Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 538 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Aug 19, 06:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Vicky....I won't be going to the Global Citizen's concert, but will definitely try to catch it on MSNBC September 28th.

Katydyd5...This was a concert that really stays with you. The set list for the show I attended was shorter by one song...Bicycle Race was eliminated. Brian did say on his site that the Xfinity Center concert was probably the hardest one to pull off technically. The stage did not project very far into the audience, so I am sure that changed things for them. I don't know if the temperature made any difference, but it was hot and humid. The atmosphere was electric though. I'll never forget the overwhelming roar of the crowd when the curtains opened and how that energy level remained constant throughout the entire show. I met a family while checking into our hotel before the concert...the father (longtime Queen fan) was taking his teenage daughter (new fan) to the show. How many bands have such an amazing body of work that everyone from kids to seniors love their music? One of my favorite songs of the evening was "Who Wants To Love Forever"...Adam does such a fantastic job with that one. Of course, one of the moments I was MOST excited about was seeing Freddie on the big screen...he enthralls me! Definitely bittersweet though.

JB050. I usually try to order something from the Mercury Phoenix Trust around Freddie's birthday. I really like the "Freddie For A Day" tee shirt I bought a few years ago. However, it doesn't appear they are for sale anymore. I also have the tote bag and another tee shirt. I just recently bought the MPT yellow pin.

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 510 posts

Posted: 17 Aug 19, 12:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow, Who Wants To Live Forever is one of my favorite songs because of the power of Freddie's voice. I knew it was on the set list and I had a secret worry that Adam would not be able to deliver the same chills that Freddie always does on that song. No worries, very powerful. Not the same chills Freddie gives me, but not a disappointment. He knows he's not Freddie, but he sure is helping to keep the music alive.

So, when you purchase from the MPT, does 100% go to the charity? When I went to their site and clicked on "shop" it took me the official Queen site. I couldn't find anything to answer my question. I don't need another tee shirt or mug, but I would love the statue. It's way too expensive, but I could call it an early Christmas present. I know I could just make a direct donation too.

Posted: 17 Aug 19, 14:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katydyd5...It says "All net proceeds from the sale of this merchandise will be donated to the Mercury Phoenix Trust - Fighting Aids Worldwide

I assume the price at which these items are being sold far exceed the cost to produce them. So I hope the "net proceeds" are high.

JB050 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 370 posts

Posted: 17 Aug 19, 14:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Love this review of the concert from the Columbus Dispatch

Absolutely love this first sentence:
The music, the precious cargo Mercury left behind, will always be here. Lambert is just the perfect vehicle to deliver it

Pure rock, arena-size shows like this that somehow still feel intimate, they simply don't exist anymore.

And, I have to laugh at the lighters, we used them too, but in Chicago, not Ohio. Haha

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dispatch.com/entertainmentlife/20190814/concert-review--queen-adam-lambert-brings-own-magic-to-mercurys-legacy%3ftemplate=ampart

JB050 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 370 posts

Posted: 17 Aug 19, 14:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow, thanks for the clarification on the “net proceeds” I was going to correct that from
My original post. :-)))

Posted: 17 Aug 19, 15:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

JB050. No thanks needed! Katydyd's question made me curious, so I decided to look up this info online because I didn't know either. It sounds like "all net proceeds" means the same as "100% of the profit". For Queen + Bejart: Ballet For Life it says "100% of the Royalties" will be donated. I don't know how royalties are calculated, but it might have something to do with the proceeds? Help...any business majors out there? LOL

The bottom line is that when we buy something from or make a donation to the Mercury Phoenix Trust, we help fund their many worldwide projects. What I especially like about MPT is that most of the money goes toward grassroots projects and education at the community level. Helping combat HIV/AIDS worldwide seems like a great cause to me!

Posted: 17 Aug 19, 15:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow, I did see that after I asked the question, but I didn't want to leave yet another of my famous blank posts. I wish there was a "delete" button. Until there is the only thing I know to do is edit and erase.

Perk user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 130 posts

Posted: 17 Aug 19, 21:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

hey Katy.....where are you located in the USA I live in Nashville if I had known you wanted to come I could have put you up for a night! Message me and we can talk more.

Posted: 17 Aug 19, 21:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey all long time no talk. I tend to get on QZ at work when there is down time but I've been busy lately. I just read about the Nashville Rhapsody Tour concert here in Nashville. It was on Thursday and came and went as most concerts in Music City do. I hated to miss it but as someone said earlier it was 500 minimum for nosebleed. I just couldn't I'm kind of a concert snob.

MARY- i of all people am NOT at all a Mary fan by any stretch but what you guys forget and leave out is that Peter Freestone said that Freddie knew he was being selfish and keeping Mary close. After they split he could have detached from her and she would have been more able to move on. PF talks about getting addicted to the glamour even if second hand. He said that even though Freddie's fame wasn't what he was there for, he found that even he was caught up in it and had a hard adjustment after his death. He talks about his feelings that Mary never really was able to break the addiction of it. He calls it "glamour" I have no clue exactly what he means I suppose unless PA and living 24/7 with a superstar we wouldn't know. He did liken it to a drug that was really addictive. He does talk about how Freddie could have taken measures to let Mary move on more, but he was selfish too and wanted to keep her in his crazy life. It was why he took care of Joe Fanelli too for his whole life. Peter talks about how Freddie always felt guilty that he had pulled Joe out of his US town and caught him up in his web (his words) From what I have heard, Freddie's life was kind of an all or nothing if you were to be a huge part of it. He would uproot his lovers especially from their normal lives and thrust them into this life of fame and Joe became an alcoholic while he was in a relationship with Freddie, not because of Freddie, but because of the crazy enviroment his fame created. It was something he really couldn't handle. Later on when he could take a more background role he was better equipped to understand what he was getting into.

Freddie knew that he had swept Mary up into that life and he knew that she could probably let go in the beginning but for a long time he didn't want to and by the time he could have let her "escape" it was too late. As far as Piers and even Mary's husband later, she talked about the shadow being more the influence over her life that living in Freddie's house and being heir to his fortune made it difficult for any of her relationships to last. Her husband tried very hard and when he proposed she warned him it would be difficult. Phoebe on that visit in the 2000's talks about Mary saying she moved the furniture around and tried to redecorate only to find that Freddie had put everything in the perfect places and she always ended up moving them back. I really don't like her at all, but I do see how Freddie was a tiny bit selfish with her. As far as the kid thing. For all we know that could have been a very serious conversation and then a flippant comment to the press. You have to remember, Freddie when doing interviews often knew EXACTLY what he was doing and what would get the most attention and as even Thor has said he would sometimes play the victim, but it was all an act. :Like in the 1985 "Bigger the Better" interview saying mary was his only friend when he had a lot of people who truly loved him and were there for him in the same ways. He was talking to a reporter whether it was his "friend" or not he knew he had to tow the line. There are a couple of interviews where he seems to be actually speaking unfiltered, but not many. I'm guessing, but I bet he knew exactly what he was doing when it came to the press.

There have been rumors flying around that David Wigg would record their interviews and then he and Freddie would go back over them to make sure nothing Freddie didn't want to get out there was revealed. And as was stated. David Wigg could give his editor a great article with Freddie in it and the editors would cut it up and rearrange it to make it sound completely different. I don't trust the press 99 percent of the time. I think the I'd rather have a cat quote was only for the press as I'm sure Freddie would have been sensitive enough to sit down and discuss something like that with Mary.

AS FAR AS FREDDIE'S PARENTS..... in a 2000's interview Jer Bulsara says on camera that she and her husband knew about Freddie being gay but they didn't say anything because they knew he was not telling them out of respect for them and their beliefs and to protect them. Mary even says that had Freddie told them it wouldn't have changed his relationship with them. Jer and Bomi loved their son no matter what, they were more astute than Freddie wanted to believe. That is evidenced when Jim talks about the conversation about Bomi's garden and the roses reaching the end of their natural life and knowing that Bomi was using it to refer to Freddie. He and Jer knew he was sick but they only brought it up if he did. PF talks about he never discussed telling his parents his diagnosis but he is pretty sure at some point he did tell them, i'm sure it was extremely hard. Jer knew he was sick and she knew he was gay and she was aware who Jim was. I heard somewhere she wrote Jim a letter a few years after Freddie's death thanking him for taking care of her son. I don't know if that's true or not. As we find out when we get later into life our parents know more about us than they let on. I do know that when Jer and Bomi saw Freddie at Live Aid on TV Bomi turned to his wife and said. "our boy's done it." I think Kash said that or something. They knew a lot more than I think Freddie wanted to believe and more than he would let on. David Minns talks about a time when he had gone to see his parents and they mentioned that "other business" (Freddie being gay) and him coming home and just sobbing because he didn't want to let them down.

Well I'm back with one of my novels SORRY maybe not such a good thing after all?

Posted: 17 Aug 19, 22:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I paid $75 for my concert tickets and we were on the club level which is just slightly up from the floor. I would not have missed that concert for the world.

Posted: 17 Aug 19, 22:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katydyd...Did you notice if most people stood during the concert, or were you able to sit through most of it? I'm glad everyone was on their feet for the show I saw...I was much too excited to remain seated. Apparently the other 19.000 felt the same way!

Posted: 17 Aug 19, 22:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow, I was up just high enough that people did not stand except for the encore and even I could not have stayed seated for that. The people on the floor stood for a lot of it, I think. I remember when you said people stood at your concert and I was a little concerned. My back won't let me stand for a concert anymore.

Posted: 17 Aug 19, 22:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_vsuLjsOec

I promise this is my last concert post, but I had wanted to share this link of Adam with you all when I first saw it. Unfortunately it was from Facebook and I know not everyone can see those links. I found this on YouTube. I've always been so interested in the things that go on backstage before, during and after a concert. Watching Freddie and the band before Wembley are some of my very favorite videos. I recently saw one where Freddie was in the doll house and the crew was rushing around him to get the crown and cape on so he could go back out. I love that stuff! I like this video because it gives you the feel of what it must be like to be waiting to go on, hear the intro music start and the crowd begin to roar. I'll bet their adrenaline goes right through the roof! I also wondered if the opening lines of "Now I'm Here" were pre-recorded and this video answers that.

Posted: 17 Aug 19, 23:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I know some QZ folks said they are going to see "We Will Rock You". I bet that will be a blast. Unfortunately, the production was not touring near me, otherwise I would have tried to get tickets. I was willing to travel for hours to see Queen + Adam Lambert, but not for the WWRY show, even though it is supposed to be quite good. There is a Queen tribute band coming to my town called "Almost Queen". I would call it an imitation band. They dress up like the guys, have similar hairstyles etc. I've already had someone tell my husband about the show, thinking I would love to it.....NAH!!!

Posted: 17 Aug 19, 23:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Do you have a link to that video? I have never seen the dollhouse in any video I'm excited!

Katydyd5 wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_vsuLjsOec

I promise this is my last concert post, but I had wanted to share this link of Adam with you all when I first saw it. Unfortunately it was from Facebook and I know not everyone can see those links. I found this on YouTube. I've always been so interested in the things that go on backstage before, during and after a concert. Watching Freddie and the band before Wembley are some of my very favorite videos. I recently saw one where Freddie was in the doll house and the crew was rushing around him to get the crown and cape on so he could go back out. I love that stuff! I like this video because it gives you the feel of what it must be like to be waiting to go on, hear the intro music start and the crowd begin to roar. I'll bet their adrenaline goes right through the roof! I also wondered if the opening lines of "Now I'm Here" were pre-recorded and this video answers that.

Posted: 17 Aug 19, 23:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katydyd...Thanks...that was a fun link. It must be an extraordinary feeling for any performer to know there are thousands, sometimes tens of thousands, of people in an audience waiting for you to come on stage. When they make their entrance, I wonder if they can physically feel the wall of sound that comes at them from fans screaming in enthusiasm? Adam certainly looks pretty relaxed in this clip I love the Wembley 86 clip that shows Freddie jumping up and down and pumping his arms in preparation before the show begins. Do you have the link for the video you saw with the crew helping Freddie put on his cape and crown?

Posted: 17 Aug 19, 23:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katy this is Nashville honey. Concerts here are not the same as other places. This is MUSIC CITY. Concerts here are much more expensive than others and it sold out here a LONG TIME AGO. So the ticket prices were marked WAY up because they could. I found 375 but I just couldn't spend it and take the night off work. I will go if they swing back through here again and hopefully know ahead of time. I'm sure the tickets were more reasonably priced before it sold out. I mean this is the same city where many artists start out so the best time to see them is early on. The last time Freddie was here was 1978 and I was too busy not existing to go :) Marc Martel lives here. He sings back up vocals for a lot of artists. Wonder if he was at the concert last night. It got an amazing review by our newspaper who isn't prone to gushing so it mustve been something.

Katydyd5 wrote:

I paid $75 for my concert tickets and we were on the club level which is just slightly up from the floor. I would not have missed that concert for the world.

CHEVYMAN user is on Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1035 posts

Posted: 18 Aug 19, 00:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Perk, I do Think Freddie needed Mary she was sort of like a mother to him I think.If he had trouble I think he could talk to her except in the area of relationships which seemed to be the most troubling for him.I dont think she liked his gay friends or tried to that's just my opinion.In a interview she had trouble saying the word gay.Freddie looked at her for that motherly love everybody needs .It's just a shame she felt the way she did in this area of his life that seemed to be troubled at times as it Is with lots of people.Some people just have trouble with relationships and I think he was one of those people.I think it may have been easier for him to talk about his relationships with friends they may have a better understanding of how he may have felt and could offer positive advice.I do believe his parents loved him and knew he was dating Jim Hutton .I don't think you take your gardener to your parents house for tea.I think they got along fine and respected eachother.Freddie's mom even wrote Jim a sweet letter after Freddie's death thanking him for being good to her son.I don"t recall her thanking Mary for anything.

Posted: 18 Aug 19, 00:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow, I'll have to look for the video with the crown and cape. I've got so many in my file that I don't even know where to start. It was part of a longer video of a concert. Let me think on it.

Posted: 18 Aug 19, 00:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dang, I'm good. I knew the video was in one of two places and I found it. The crown and cape happens very quickly at the end. You can see Freddie make a run for it and then you briefly see them helping him before he's back out.

http://www.facebook.com/QueenAndMercury/videos/251259409157982/

I happened to get on the computer the day the tickets went on sale and even then the prices were extremely high. The concert sold out in less than a day, and after that scalp prices were ridiculous.