Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Part Three: New thread while Thor and Lee's book is in Publication

forum rss feed
Author

JB050 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 384 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Aug 19, 03:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow- I just realize-read your post... that’s really not a lot for 32 libraries. Love that they have comic book.

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 519 posts

Posted: 23 Aug 19, 03:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, JB, I only checked my local library. We are a suburb of a larger city and I'll bet their library system has more to offer.

Checked and came back to edit. The large city library system has a lot of books, CD's and videos. I'm glad, I was kind of worried.

Posted: 23 Aug 19, 03:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Re-read that is supposed to be. :-). Ok done.
Good night to all.

Rainbow61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 545 posts

Posted: 23 Aug 19, 05:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

JB050...l was mainly surprised there were no Queen CDs! However to be fair, many of the libraries are very small...only one or two rooms. I found one more book to add to the library count. It's not specifically a book about Freddie, but he is mentioned in the book. It's called "Groundbreaking Guys: 40 Guys Who Became Great By Doing Good". It's an illustrated book of biographies for 10-13 year olds. The section on Freddie is located between the sections on Steven Spielberg and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Each bio is only 2 pages long. I am very curious what they say about Freddie...I may have to check it out.

What's funny is there are two CD's by Montserrat Caballe available in this library system. I think there might be some good-natured teasing between Freddie and Monteserrat over that!

Did anyone who attended one of the Queen concerts have real tickets (as opposed to mobile tickets)? If so, did you keep your ticket as a souvenir? I had to pay extra to have my tickets mailed to me. I always keep my ticket stubs. One of the Queen concert sites shows ticket stubs from over the years. What's interesting are the prices. The orchestra seats at Madison Square Garden in 1980 were $10.50. I wonder what the front row tickets cost?

HelloDelilah user not visiting Queenzone.com
HelloDelilah
Bohemian: 176 posts

Posted: 23 Aug 19, 06:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow61, I wish I kept my tickets from concerts long ago. Those are such good keepsakes and nice to look at and remember once in a while. Yeah and it is interesting to see how the prices were back in the day compared to today (plus all the fees)!! Do you have all your ticket stubs from your first concert?

That book you mentioned sounds interesting. I should check out my neighborhood library too to see what books and such they have. Not sure what they have as mostly children go there! LOL :)

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 519 posts

Posted: 23 Aug 19, 12:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rainbow, I had real tickets just because I'm old school and feel safer to have one in hand. I did throw it away...……..gasp. I'm in the process of purging my house of years of accumulated treasures/junk and that's the type of thing I don't keep anymore.

Amidds user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 199 posts

Posted: 23 Aug 19, 14:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor - hope all went well and recovery is quick!!

Regarding the library.....there is a site, Worldcat.org where you can literally look up listings for every library in the world at once. If it is in print and being held somewhere, it should list all of the places you can find it. You just have to hope that it's close to you or works with your local library for lending.
Kinda interesting to do a Freddie Mercury search on there!

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1052 posts

Posted: 23 Aug 19, 14:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds,Thankyou so much I didn't know that website existed.It will be very helpful in searching for books.Im into a series called mindhunters on Netflix and it has rekindled my passion for sociapaths and why they do what they do.So that will help me in my research thanks.

Posted: 23 Aug 19, 18:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katydyd, now I feel really technology challenged —- please tell me how you go back in and edit your post? :-). That’s cool that you found even more.

Rainbow. I 2nd HelloDelilah. Groundbreaking Guys sounds good. Was smiling reading who he was near in the book. That’s funny about the CDs and imagined teasing.

It’s so cool that people have the historical tickets.
That would be interesting to see the 1st tow pricing from the 70s.

Katydyd- trying to clean out too. Although you sound much better at it than I am. (Haha) keep bringing more in. Including;

Rainbow- I did keep the actual ticket (so far) we got VIP so we got actual ticket, laminate, and... yep, the purple “robe” see what I mean about trying to clean out. Hahaha.

Posted: 23 Aug 19, 18:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds- oh ya! Thanks for the reminder about worldcat!!

Posted: 23 Aug 19, 19:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is possibly well known info for many of you but since I just came across it, new to me, thought It would be a fun Friday Fact to share. :-)) from Ask Phoebe Blog. He was answering whether Freddie had record collection-answer not really, of course, mentioning how had some but not collection) then says but he (Peter) was asked to get the Now That’s What I Call Music compilations of various popular artists/songs that Freddie would play when he had people over. That made me smile.

So, of course, I looked at three years to see what was included, and, smiling again at what I saw consistently and consecutively (of course!):

Now that’s what I call music
1984- First track—I want to Break Free
1985- First track—One Vision
1986– First track—A Kind of Magic

Some of the other songs on albums:
Higher Live-Steve Winwood
And She Was - Talking Heads
Nikita - Elton John

I love it!

Please excuse long post-/hopefully new info for someone else :-)

NotQuiteAShilling user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 145 posts

Posted: 23 Aug 19, 19:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hoping you are recovering nicely Thor. Comfortably Numb? Is Lee taking good care of you?

Rainbows and Katydyd - really enjoy hearding about your recent Queen concert experiences! Thank you so much for sharing!

Perk user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 130 posts

Posted: 23 Aug 19, 21:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lots to talk about. ...ANOTHER LONG POST AT LEAST THEY AREN'T TOOOO OFTEN

I recently found a blog of a girl who had spent a good bit of time with Jim Hutton in the 2000's in Ireland and honestly everything I find out about Jim makes him even more endearing. She also talk about seeing him in 2009 and how drawn he looked and had oxygen with him while he was being treated for lung cancer. It was sad and a damn shame.

THOR AND LEE----- I hope all is well and the book is well and that you heal fast.

I love when I find new information on Freddie/Queen lately with all the obsessive research I've done it's getting harder and harder. I do know this Princess Diana story keeps coming back and I'm confused as to why people believe that. idk I mean PF says it's not true and he would know. Another person came out and talked about it recently and I'm confused as to why that particular story

I think one reason NYC is left out of Freddie's life in docs is because he could live rather anonymously there. I know that he would go out and things but as Thor and Lee have both said he wasn't as recognized and didn't get attention about his celeb status due to NYC being flooded with famous people back then and that was when he was most separate from the band except when they performed. So might be why it's skipped. I don't think they did any recording there whereas they did SOME in Munich so they were there when he was. New York was Freddie's playground and I get the feeling LA was where Roger and Brian played, along with England.

Other than Thor and Lee until I got on here I didn't know much of anything about the NYC years. They are mentioned and some of the more bizarre stories are talked about but not just everyday life. I'm excited for this book.

I always thought that the Montreal concerts seemed a little more aggressive than normal and after hearing the commentary I get why. Freddie was mad as hell at the director and cameras being in his way. Roger and Brian say they had really never seen Freddie so mad before a show and the songs are super fast versions. That's one of the best concerts though showing that Freddie's work ethic was amazing no matter what was happening. I can't believe how amazing he is at Milton-Keynes when he has an injured hand. That would make me mad but that's why we love him.

David Wigg was friends with Freddie, but he was still a journalist. I don't trust the editing of that one documentary with the horrible reenactment. He only talked so much about Mary because that was the person that Freddie put forward the most in the press. No matter what you say about her Mary was necessary for Freddie's cover at the time. I agree about the weird bedroom stories, they were friends though and David did see Freddie on vacations and he always tried to give Freddie an advanced copy of his articles but as Jim said in his book once the editors got a hold of it they would make it have an entire new meaning when they cut it up and rearranged it and David hated it and really once they went to editors he had no control anymore.

As far as the arrows Freddie loved that is so cool about his parsee heritage influencing it. I always wondered of all the things he could have loved on his costumes why arrows lol? PF says that they wore ties around their waists in the formal zoastrian outfits and he thinks that Freddie had a thing about belts and stuff and he thinks maybe that is why. It's just a guess by PF but kinda makes sense. honestly I think his heritage plays a bigger part in his life than even he knew. As far as the colors and their meanings. THAT'S COOL I do remember Diana Moseley saying that after the first date on the Magic Tour where Freddie wore all white he called and told her it wasn't working and he needed a color that stuck out. Hence, Yellow Wembley Jacket :)

This girl's blog I talk about above is awesome she lived in Ireland when Jim was there and his niece dated her bf's best friend or something. She also went maybe to MONTREAUX? (I think) to a bday celebration for Freddie where Kash and her husband were there a few years back as well as PF I have screen shots of her blog if anyone wants to read but I have no clue how to put them on here and it's just trouble. She talks about a locket Jim had that has three pics one of Freddie, one of Miko, and one of his mother. I think that he said Freddie gave it to him. This same girl lived in Prague as well and hunted down a store that PF had at the time and that was a cool story.

I liked getting a glimpse into Jim and the more I find out about him the more I like him. She goes into a lot of detail and even says that Jim had seemed to pick up some of Freddie's mannerisms that would come out in conversations. I thought that was super cute. :) <3

Their love story is super beautiful. Even Rami Malek says it was "gorgeous" and he would have loved to have focused more on it.

Okay I'm finally out love you guys be good and be kind cause that's what Freddie would want :)

Terri557 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 14 posts

Posted: 23 Aug 19, 22:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor I hope you’re not experiencing too much pain. Ice, ice, ice ......Keep the leg elevated, like on Lee’s dash board, just kidding. I’m a physical therapist and used to work at LIJ right out of school. Nobody ever left the hospital before post op day 4 for knees and day 2 for hips. It was a while back but I can’t imagine leaving the hospital a day after a TKR! I guess the less time you stay in the hospital the better. Wishing you a quick recovery!

Posted: 23 Aug 19, 22:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Perk! I love it. Great post.

- I agree that is really cute about Jim picking up Freddie's mannerisms. I noticed they both said “touch wood”

-I am very interested in reading the blog however it works best to share it. Thank you.

Lsgp03 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lsgp03
Bohemian: 128 posts

Posted: 23 Aug 19, 22:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katydyd5 wrote:

Lsgp, I had heard that clip before and must have read the same piece you did. I imagine there was a lot going on in his life and mind in 1986. I can't imagine the fear he was facing as he watched friends dying.

On another note, here's a clip where he's just angry, and with good reason. He was such a perfectionist this must have driven him nuts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdaOhF9SVf8&feature=share

Then again, I just looked at it and when he turns back to the piano, is there a tiny smile???

By the way, hopefully that link is live. Galileo told us that all you have to do to create a live link is take out the "s" after http. Usually that works.

Whoa! Thank you!! You mean all it takes is taking the “s” out? So I have stupidly and painstakingly have written everything down to then type in a new browser.....that was all a waste?? Wow Buaaaaaaahhhhh!!!!! Hahahaha hahahaha haha!! I’m so glad I can amuse my own self....teehehhheeehhhhee! Kicking myself in the butt, but happy to know I can save 6 minutes out of my life forever.

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1052 posts

Posted: 23 Aug 19, 22:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Terri, I hope he isn't either I was worried about him yesterday.But he is in good hands to have a best friend like Lee.He seems like he's a pretty tough guy too.

Lsgp03

Posted: 23 Aug 19, 23:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So, Monday night I dreamt that Freddie and I were walking down a hallway, and he was wearing the outfit he wore when they filmed Queen rehearsing for Live Aid. I was animated walking and talking with him, but he was silent. Just walking and listening. By Thursday I relented about the whole Adam Lambert issue, and it not being Freddie with Queen, but at the last minute I went thru StubHub and bought a ticket and I WENT, AND IT WAS AMAZING!!!!!!! I loved seeing Freddie singing to us there with the videos they installed. Let me tell you, it was meant for me to go.....so the ticket was in the nose bleed section and I went to sit down and water started to drip drip drip, first on my foot, then my head, then my leg, then my shirt, then the seat between my knees, and I was like “ oh Hell no”......no, not here and not tonight. No way Jose. So I told the porter for my section, and he told me to go sit in a seat unaffected until he came back with a resolution. He comes back 10 minutes later, and moved me to another section.

Not only was it a better section, it was further down closer to the floor, in a front row, with no obstructions, not even people obstruction, and a seat that was an “end” seat with no one to my left. They were expensive seats I couldn’t have paid for ( well, I could but you know what I mean....just more towards the credit card balance) ......and it was closer to the stage, and they gave me a Paper ticket to prove I’m supposed to be in that seat, which I am a collector of concert tickets since the 70’s, and the original seat was only a mobile transfer. Talk about FINALLY having a little luck for once.

I think the dream was forewarning me that I was going to end up going, and be happy. I do get premonitions and visions but they only come to me in dreams. I don’t dream unless its a warning, good or bad.

Lsgp03

Posted: 23 Aug 19, 23:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So Thor! Surgery went well I presume. Hope you are enjoying the meds! Don’t have any “knee-jerk” reactions anytime soon! Hahahaha.........Excuse my silly humor but I’ve been on cloud 9 since I went to the concert last night. Jokes aside, hope your good under the circumstances, and Lee the caregiver of course.

Lsgp03

Posted: 23 Aug 19, 23:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You’re, not your