Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Part Three: New thread while Thor and Lee's book is in Publication

forum rss feed
Author

Amidds user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 199 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Sep 19, 15:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Chevy - what an awesome question! I remember seeing quite a few pics of Freddie & friends in what looked like costumes but didn't recall if it was for Halloween or birthday parties. So a little internet research turned this up from Phoebe's book:

http://books.google.com/books?id=2aa8BwAAQBAJ&pg=PT101&lpg=PT101&dq=freddie+mercury+peter+freestone+halloween&source=bl&ots=adCxdkG92X&sig=ACfU3U2Za9L0Pun_dH_dfkSA7uxZpP1wfw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi6soyQ3NrkAhWHlp4KHal9D7gQ6AEwIXoECAcQAQ#v=onepage&q=freddie%20mercury%20peter%20freestone%20halloween&f=false

And Thor - thinking of you today and sending good thoughts for a full and speedy recovery!!!

HelloDelilah user not visiting Queenzone.com
HelloDelilah
Bohemian: 176 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 19, 16:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Chevyman, here is some information on how the band celebrated Halloween in 1978 at the launch of the Jazz album in New Orleans, Louisiana, USA. Hope this helps.

http://www.queenzone.com/forums/1525249/contemporary-article-about-1978-jazz-album-launch-translated-from-dutch.aspx

http://youtu.be/ThlAvD418D4

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1056 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 19, 16:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds, Thanks I'm trying everything to get my mind off poor Thor in hospital.Those infections if that's what's wrong are serious.Good thoughts everyone .I think he was educated enough about the body to know he had something wrong thank goodness for that.The sooner you catch it the better off you probably are.PRayers for him not to be in to much pain during this healing process.

Posted: 18 Sep 19, 17:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

HelloDelilah,Thanks Girl!

matt z user not visiting Queenzone.com
this message is...
matt z
Deity: 4483 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 19, 20:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yowch! What an update.

Kick that infection's @$$, Thor. For certain you know every bit of advice and "Old Wive's Tale" regarding recuperation... but damnit, stick to em!

"Come tonight! Come see the Overbite! Come to Ogre Battle, FIGHT!"

Posted: 18 Sep 19, 22:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Why thank you much!Such a lovely gesture God Bless.

JB050 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 386 posts

Posted: 19 Sep 19, 03:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor, I am thinking about you.

Jo T. - when do you see WWRY?
I didn’t want too say too much since don’t think you went yet.

Definitely skip my next post if you don’t want any pre-info. Overall, I really enjoyed it!

Posted: 19 Sep 19, 03:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi all,

Disclaimer: WWRY spoiler alert. :))
And really long post alert...

I thought they did an excellent job and really enjoyed it. I wasn’t sure what to expect, knowing about the premise ahead of time.

I have to say, I found it really fun and entertaining and I was out of breath watching the choreographed dances, including jumping up and down from table height and making it look easy. There was also a band above the stage. The cast and band were excellent. The main character - actor (Trevor Coll - You May have heard of him) was truly phenomenal. In the program it said his participation was arranged by permission of Canadian Actor’s Equity Association, looks like he’s done TV work too)

There was great music humor and a very touching moment acknowledging/naming great artists lost young (Jim Morrison, Buddy Holley, John Lennon, etc) followed by No-one But You (Only the Good Die Young...) ugh that was a moment.

It was really a celebration of music and so respectfully acknowledged and honored Queen and Freddie... while mostly keeping it lighthearted and humorous. Some places, of course, you’ll laugh or may have moment of adjustment where they change words for the storytelling. (I was imagining Freddie behind the scenes :)

It was interesting the interpretation / placement in story of Hammer to Fall in context of a relationship.
My research brain wouldn’t have minded even more details about the plot... and thought it was clever/ interesting that even in the place of no music, they sang that storyline. :)

I have to say it again... there was so much talent on that stage!! What a cast!

And-yep, I couldn’t resist.....I wore a THE robe. :-))
There was someone there with a cool jacket, her daughter made it for her. So was one of a kind! So cool!

A few of us may actually go again taking someone who couldn’t make it this time.

Amidds and Katy— after you asked for my thoughts, I was thinking about you and sharing here, because I know our lens and perspectives here, with all the knowledge, passion and research may be different viewing experience. :) alway feel careful making recommendations. (Haha)

I went w 5 other people, one who wasn’t sure what he’d think about “musical style”. They all enjoyed it too. It’s cool that Brian and Roger showed up on the London stage. That would have been amazing.

Sorry for the long post but hope that helps for anyone on the fence. :)

Has anyone else seen it yet?

Posted: 19 Sep 19, 04:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks so much for the links HelloDelilah!!!

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 519 posts

Posted: 19 Sep 19, 15:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

JB, thanks for the review of WWRY. I don't really know what to expect, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Didn't realize they would perform No One But You. That's always a tough one for me. Glad to hear you wore the robe! Did anyone comment? Were a lot of people wearing Queen clothing? Not sure what I'll do.

Edit: Anyone know why our comments are no longer fitting in the reply box? This happened once before and seemed to self-correct, but it's annoying.

Posted: 19 Sep 19, 16:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello Everyone Hello Delilah, It did seem Freddie celebrated halloween.I really enjoyed the linked you sent me.They were definately a crazy bunch for sure can you imagine partying with him it would be so much fun.However, Dont know if I could hang but I would sure try.

Posted: 19 Sep 19, 18:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katy.
That’s great you have tickets! Is it part of your season?
Yep, I think you will enjoy it and will have fun

I was wondering same thing about the view. The book thread still has “normal” view.

Posted: 19 Sep 19, 19:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katy,
I owe you a few answers: There was a table of people outside who stopped me to look at the robe and asked about it. It was really fun to wear it. It was warm that night so didn’t wear it thru the show.

Dress was mixed some were in nicer blouses, etc. our group were all in t-shirts. Some queen shirts. Except me. Since has robe. Wot a casual top with beaded neckline. If that helps.

HelloDelilah

Posted: 19 Sep 19, 23:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Chevyman, so glad you enjoyed the link. Did you see the video of photos too? I added on the video later. It sure would have been fun to party with them, but I don’t know if I could keep up! LOL I would have loved to go on tour with them just for the experience or hang out with Freddie at Garden Lodge.

Have a good day everyone!! xoxo

HelloDelilah

Posted: 19 Sep 19, 23:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Double post.

HelloDelilah

Posted: 19 Sep 19, 23:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for the review of WWRY, JB. Sounds like a good musical. And enjoy the show, Katy!

Music that ROCKS featuring the music of Queen along with my local symphony, is coming to town with vocalist Brody Dolyniuk. My friends and I decided not to go as we found out about it a little too late and the only tickets left are the most expensive and in separate seats. So a bunch of us will just sit around and listen to CDs (joking)!!

Has anyone heard of Brody Dolyniuk or have been to something like this?

Posted: 20 Sep 19, 00:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

HelloDelilah,Yes I seen photo and I would've been under the table for sure i have a low alcohol tolerance.

Posted: 20 Sep 19, 00:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

HelloDelilah. That sounds really interesting. Have not heard of Brody but will now familiarize myself. :)

I agree w/ you and Chevy— I often think how great it would have been to be part of the piano singalongs at Garden Lodge.

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 519 posts

Posted: 20 Sep 19, 00:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Erasing a post...……..sorry!

Posted: 20 Sep 19, 00:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katy! Thanks for mentioning that!!. I have heard one, was really funny. Have you come across more than one? The one I heard ended w/. ....whatever will be will be.....