Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Part Three: New thread while Thor and Lee's book is in Publication

forum rss feed
Author

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1056 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Oct 19, 20:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My goodness look at all the activity you guys been some busy bees.Peter Hence does offer alot of interesting into behind the scene stuff of the band doesnt he thanks everyone.Back to packing .Its finally cool outside bearable weather exciting for me as well as others I'm sure.

FreddieDarling user not visiting Queenzone.com
FreddieDarling
Bohemian: 577 posts

Posted: 08 Oct 19, 21:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds. Loving the Ratty interview. Thank you!!

Amidds user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 199 posts

Posted: 08 Oct 19, 23:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Chevy, hope you are packing for a fun reason, like a vacation! If you’re moving, then I’m sorry, I hate moving!

Fredfie, glad you’re enjoying the interview, I thought it was pretty good. Just wondering what your take is on the wardrobe person Peter referred to. On the other thread where I found this, they were saying it was Phoebe but I have never heard him referred to as an alcoholic!! I need to go back and listen to the time he’s referring to, maybe, to see if it was before Phoebes time.....

Posted: 09 Oct 19, 00:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds,I'm going on a little fall retreat with some friends of mine for two weeks.I hope I can hold up that long.A friend of mine has a cabin and it belonged to his now deceased father so he remodeled it.It's his bf's bday so about 12 of us are gonna stay in it for a couple weeks.Go fishing on a boat they of course will use their jet skies .We will drink our ass off.On Halloween night is his bf's bday and our last night there and he is gonna scare the shit out of him by dressing up as Michael Myers from the halloween movie its gonna be great.I just hope I can tolerate that many people that long some I like and some I dont .Yes I will be drinking you know.Hope I can be my sweet self and not insult anyone like last time.

JB050 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 387 posts

Posted: 09 Oct 19, 01:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds— I just finished the interview. I heard the part about putting clothes on backwards, but don’t recall a timeframe or chronology. I’ll listen for that also on the next listen. It’s always so cool to hear about their work ethic and other observations from those who were so involved, never surprising but love hearing it from people like Peter H, who were in it and impacted/influenced by it.
Thank you again for posting it.

FreddieDarling

Posted: 09 Oct 19, 08:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds and JB050

The on-backwards tights happened in 1985 at the Mount Smart Stadium New Zealand.

Freddie and Tony Hadley of Spandau Ballet had overdone the vodka and port on a drinking session together.

Freddie was still 'bladdered' when he went on stage (so was Hadley who was invited on stage to sing Jail House Rock, then launched into Tutto Fruitti !)

He was so drunk he had to be helped to dress and when he was about to go on stage realised that his wardrobe assistant Tony Williams (who was also find it drink!) has put Freddies's tights on backwards. He loudly complaind, and Tony and Joe Fanelli.(Phoebe was resident in Garden Lodge over seeing renovations during this tour) held Freddie upside down, like a wishbone and redressed him.

Freddie went on stage, symbolically drunk, but somehow, (after forgetting the intro to Somebody To Love) managed to pull himself together to deliver SOME sort of show.

So, it was Tony Williams who was the dipsomaniac wardrobe assistant, not our Phoebe.

Hope this helps! :-) I may have just withered on there telling you stuff you knew already.

FreddieDarling

Posted: 09 Oct 19, 08:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Shambolically NOT symbolically drunk! Damn you predictive text! My tormentor!

FreddieDarling

Posted: 09 Oct 19, 08:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

*withered NOT withered! *sigh*

Sniffs U! Help me......

FreddieDarling

Posted: 09 Oct 19, 08:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

*wittered!

Posted: 09 Oct 19, 13:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I remember this story now - thanks so much for the reminder Fredfie!! I was gonna skim thru Phoebe's books hoping I'd find it in there but knew one of you smart QZ's would know! And, of course, that's how rumors start....Peter mentions a wardrobe person, someone assumes it's Phoebe (which
isn't too far of base because he WAS hired to be FM's wardrobe asst) and all of a sudden, Phoebe is an alcoholic! Jeez.

And, btw Fredfie, if I could help, I wouldn't - you gave me my daily laugh. AGAIN!

JB-I couldn't agree more about hearing these wonderful stories. Also, Peter seems to have good intentions and a love for Queen/Freddie which is heartwarming :)

Chevy - will keep my fingers crossed that your vacation is wonderful - sounds like it will be a lot of fun!

Posted: 09 Oct 19, 13:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor haven't heard anything from you I do like to read your text.How are you doing ? I hope you off the 24 hour thing that's frustrating taking showers just everyday tasks.Give us a scream when you have time its October.

thundergod user not visiting Queenzone.com
thundergod
Royalty: 1716 posts

Posted: 09 Oct 19, 14:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Chevy,
I have about 3 more weeks of around the clock IV antibiotics . It will then be determined if I need to continue this or be able to switch to oral
antibiotics. The problem is that when you have hardware in your body (titanium knee), bacteria can hide away from the normal blood supply that normally
rids the body of bacteria via white blood cells (which kind of eat the bacteria and neutralizes them). If they are hiding away from the body's regular
defenses, they can spread to tissues again intermittently. Sorry I am using very medical terminology.
Thank you so much for your concern.
Yours,
Thor

doughnut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 670 posts

Posted: 09 Oct 19, 14:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thor take good care of yourself :0

I hope that you heal very very quick as it must be so frustrating :)

Posted: 09 Oct 19, 14:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

amidds not seen any bad reviews but I can defo recommend the Georg Purvis book. Its my holy grail of Queen .

Katy I received some 'Little Debbie' Brownies and I now also have Ding Dong's and HO Ho's thanks to the lovely Jo.T :)

It will be my first time seeing Queen & AL and I was on line buying them as soon as they were released. I have standing tickets for £90.

I have 40 years of Queen thanks yo FreddieDearie....I got mine for £18 from an online Charity Shop. It's lovely

I also bought the Phil Suttcliffe one for £10. Bargain .

Posted: 09 Oct 19, 15:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks Thor You mean the infection is harder to get rid of because you have hardware in your body.I dont mind you using your medical terminology it intrigues me.I have smart friends and their brains fascinate me.I on the other hand am a bit of an air head.Thank you so much for responding to us it means alot keep on 0n taking care of yourself.You are in my prayers always.

Posted: 09 Oct 19, 15:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Doughnut, SOLD! Will def add it to my list. The negative reviews I saw were mostly about people not liking how there were no pics and it being an "encyclopedia" type reference (very dry, boring). Other than the pics, that's kind of how I viewed AIB and I loved that book! Can you share the info on the online charity shop? Sounds like a good resource.

Thor, so sorry to hear you're still going through all that. It's not me and even I am thinking "will it ever end?......" I did chuckle over your apology for the med term - you explained it great!!! I found it entertaining though because I was just talking to my daughter (Transplant ANM) who was telling me about her Master's project - nothing but acronyms, latin and $20 words! Unless I tell her to "dumb" stuff down for me, I never understand a word she says!! Must be the difference b/t a retired nurse and a "baby" nurse???? Will continue to send positive thoughts for a quick/full recovery!!!

Posted: 09 Oct 19, 16:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

amidds yes it has no photos and it isn't a book if you are after gossip . Id describe it as a queen encyclopedia and that is perfect for me. It covers every song ever written and/or performed from all four guys and what the song is about . This has been lovely for me, it's nice to read the reasons behind a song, it has made me think about the songs a bit more as they have more meaning.

It also details information on all the tours, documentaries and much more.

It was a UK charity shop and they had just the one for sale. Is it very expensive in the US? I tend to search google like a mad woman to try and find a bargain.

Posted: 09 Oct 19, 16:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

forgot to say I also loved the Ratty interview. He worked with Freddie for 20 years so he has seen a lot. you can tell how fond of Freddie and John he was ...not so Brian lol .

I can imagine Freddie having an ora about him . What a man he was :)

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 519 posts

Posted: 09 Oct 19, 17:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thor, so good to hear from you. What a pain in the ass...…………..errrrr knee...…………. this has been for you. Definitely a worst case scenario. Hang in there and update when you can.

Doughnut, I know the concert is eons away, but I'll be anxious to hear what you think. So, excuse my ignorance, but standing means right up front, but standing the whole time? Yikes, I couldn't do it, more power to you! As for Little Debbie snacks, I don't buy them (except for the donut sticks) unless the kids are going to be here, but I like a lot of what they have. I'm kind of a crème filling type, like Twinkies, so I'll go for anything like that. I try not eat it, but sometimes the stuff just calls my name. I'm already buying some of my Halloween candy in preparation for the big night, but I have to buy things I don't like or I'll be testing it to make sure it's good, if you know what I mean.

I listened to bits and pieces of the Ratty interview and enjoyed what I heard. I have it saved to maybe give it my full attention at some point. I have trouble with things that are only audio. I seem to need video to hold my interest.

Thanks FD for the info on the New Zealand concert. Ratty wrote about it in his book, and I've read bits in other places. If I'm recalling correctly Ratty said that was the only time he was disappointed in one of Freddie's performances, but it never happened again. I haven't read Ratty's book in a long time, I might have to give it another go.

FreddieDarling

Posted: 09 Oct 19, 22:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Do NO OTHER QZ members get Amidds name corrected to Sniffs? Is it just my hinky predictive text, or am I just THAT shite at proof reading?