Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Part Three: New thread while Thor and Lee's book is in Publication

forum rss feed
Author

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 516 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Oct 19, 00:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jo, thanks for your wonderful review of CFA. I wish I had taken your advice and listened to the soundtrack before I went. Things happen so quickly that I know I missed a lot. This is one I'd definitely like to see again.

Amidds user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 199 posts

Posted: 19 Oct 19, 19:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Happy Saturday Peeps! I don’t normally watch these because there are never any “rare” pics but there we’re actually a couple in here I don’t remember. So, thought I’d share.....if anyone recognizes the origins of the ones with the person wearing a babushka, let me know!!!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=StJN1znC9hw

Posted: 19 Oct 19, 20:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds, that's Kurt Raab, a Munich friend. He was the ballerina in the It's a Hard Life video. You can see him on the floor while Freddie is in the balcony and then Freddie comes down and stands by him. I'm sure you know that Barbara is also in the video as is Mack's wife Ingrid (??). One other interesting piece of trivia while I'm at it is that this video was made after Freddie had that knee injury. When he sits on the stairs at the end, you can tell the knee still bothers him. Anyone who's had a knee injury or a replacement will recognize the move. Kurt was also in the video Living On My Own. He's the dancer who catches Freddie when he leaps into his arms. He was part of the Barbara Valentin crowd. Interesting man who did a lot for AIDS awareness before he died.

I love listening to Brian and Roger talk about It's a Hard Life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgWp78Spu6s&list=PL9V6J9XWNlM1V7kRSyDq6buocpNksNBgg

JB050 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 379 posts

Posted: 19 Oct 19, 21:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katy! You are a walking encyclopedia. I loved reading about when he sits down because I just read that in Peter’s first book. am (re) - reading things. 3 books at once. Haha.

Hope everyone is having a good day.
Sending positive thoughts to Thor and anyone else who needs them at the moment.

Posted: 19 Oct 19, 22:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow Katydid, thanks for the info! I did not recognize Kurt at all in the link I posted and had no idea he was the ballerina! Thank you also for the Hard Life link, I had not seen that one! You are super observant!

CHEVYMAN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1044 posts

Posted: 19 Oct 19, 23:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just dropping in to say hi to all you and checking in on my buddy.Hope you are doing okay?I took a look a that utube link Katy you are very observant you and Thor are a couple of smarties.Have a nice evening everyone.

Posted: 19 Oct 19, 23:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for the compliments guys, but all you are seeing is a person with a deep obsession and time on her hands. : )

JB050 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 379 posts

Posted: 20 Oct 19, 03:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds and Katy! Thanks for the links!!
Modesty at its finest Katy. ;))

Thereuhaveit user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 57 posts

Posted: 20 Oct 19, 15:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, thanks Katy for the link. I've heard (what I assume) are snippets of that conversation about 'It's a Hard Life' video, but never the full deal. It is a beautiful song, with telling lyrics, but the video has always been a bit over the top for me--and apparently it is for Brian and Roger, too (and, no doubt, John). When I've listened to the song, it's without the video, it's just too silly. Their analysis does make sense though, so I was glad to hear their take on it and it sheds new light for me.

As well Katy, I can certainly understand when you say you have a "deep obsession" about this...hobby of Queen and FM. I've never had one bit of interest in "stars" or musicians and their goings-on, other than reading the occasional article. (I did recently see the Linda Ronstadt documentary, 'The Sound of my Voice'--which is wonderful--but that's an anomaly for me to watch something like that. I've always been a Ronstadt fan.

But the more I learn about FM and Queen, the more I want to learn.

Oh dear.

Posted: 20 Oct 19, 16:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I too find that video a little strange they all look a little dazed and confused they have this look on their faces like what's going on ?what do we do now?But I do love that costume Freddie has on he always has the best costumes so original.He is just so over the top in this video he can pull off stuff others cant and make it ok.I still will say of all costumes he wears I love who was dressing him in the 70s .He looked absolutely beautiful.

Posted: 20 Oct 19, 16:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katydyd, nothing wrong with such a wonderful obsession, I’m sure all of us here fall under that category! Maybe your amazing recall and attention to detail can answer a couple of questions I’ve mentioned on the reading board....IHOW, Freddie mentions firing 3 people in the mid 80’s. Assuming 1 was Prenter, do you know who the other two were and the circumstances? And my ridiculous question...in the popular pic with Michael Jackson, Freddie is wearing a WEAR West Hollywood shirt. Was that a club or store? Mild curiosity has let me to searching for those two answers but I get inundated with stores and recap of the BoRhap movie.

Have a wonderful Sunday all! Thor, hope all is going well for you!

Posted: 20 Oct 19, 19:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it represents part of West Hollywood nightlife hotels businesses etc.Its not a brand of clothing I dont think.

Posted: 20 Oct 19, 20:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I meant it's not just a brand of clothing that it represents like guess under Armour etc .

Posted: 20 Oct 19, 22:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ThereUHaveIt, hereafter referred to as TUHI by me, there are a large number of Brian and Roger talks on YouTube discussing Queen videos. I know they come from another video documentary that I think I own, but can't remember the name because I haven't watched the whole video to date. It's fun to listen to their opinions of the videos. I've always liked the song It's a Hard Life, but found the video kind of odd. Phoebe does discuss it in his book which is how I knew to watch for Freddie's knee, and other sources talk about the people in the video. I think this is one where they use fan club volunteers as extras. I would have been first in line to volunteer for that duty! If you Google "Brian and Roger talk" you may be able to find other videos. In fact, if you use the link I gave above, the other "talks" are in the sidebar.

As for deep obsessions, It's typical for me. I get interested in a topic and I read, research etc to find as much as I can. However, this one has been the most fun ever and I never tire of looking for more. I just regret that I came to it so late and thus missed the chance to see Freddie perform live. I have something else that I'm quite involved in on a daily basis (politics and I'll say no more) and Freddie and all things Queen are a wonderful and very welcome escape for me. I'm having a ball collecting things, searching out info and sharing with others like you guys who understand the obsession. My family tends to do a lot of eye rolling.

Posted: 20 Oct 19, 22:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like TUHI! (Not too dissimilar from my real name...)

Lol, yes eye rolling from my husband and son, too. Our poor families. My son lives half-way around the world, but has enjoyed some of the links I've sent to him. He's a journalist, so he's gotten a kick (eye rolls aside) at my research efforts.

I did catch a couple of the other videos where Brian and Roger discuss the filming, but thanks for the heads-up. I just recently read both of Freestone's books and like you, noticed the problem with FM's knee, once it was pointed out. I like to listen to Queen while I'm working on photographs at the desktop, but I can't listen when I write. I wiggle too much in my chair at the computer--not conducive for writing. :)

Politics. Yes, the Queen/FM escapism is good for that--Freddie (and the rest of Queen) would be happy about that as I think they've all said that they want fans/listeners to escape from real life problems with Queen's music, even if it's just for a while.

There are parts of the FM story that I don't have a handle on and probably never will as the most personal witnesses have told their stories and it's all we have.

Posted: 20 Oct 19, 23:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

TUHI, even though I've been at this hobby for several years now, I still think there are things to discover. Thor and Lee's book will have new info. Rudi Dolezal is supposedly writing a book and there will be new info in that. I've always wished Diana Mosely would write a book. How about Kash?? Though she wasn't around Freddie much for a period of her life, she would have new insights and most likely new pictures. Periodically new pictures appear on FB that seem almost to be from someone's private collections. Lately there have been many new pictures from Japan. I sometimes think that as people age and pass on, their children may find some wonderful photo treasures in their personal effects. Freddie will always be a wonderful mystery, but what fun it is to unpeel the layers!

Posted: 21 Oct 19, 00:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Funnily enough, I was just thinking yesterday that it would be interesting if Diana Mosely wrote her recollections. She had an interesting career and she retired two (?) years ago--ran across an article about her. I've always wondered (for example) who Freddie is looking at (several times) during the side-by-side takes of 'These are the days of our lives' video which is easily available. He's mostly looks directly at the camera, but there are 3-4 times in the 'alternative' takes when his eyes shift to his left, our right. There's only one time his eyes shift during the final cut, though. Jim Hutton mentions that he's sitting down off of the stage with Diana Mosely during some of the takes. Was Freddie looking at them?

I'm on FB, but not that active (with a couple of exceptions) and have no connections with anything Queen or FM; not really sure I want to go there, but I'm sure you're right about photos being discovered.

I'm sure Thor's and Lee's book will be a 'missing link' of sorts and well-received by fans. Wishing you well, Thor--and Lee!

Rainbow61 user is on Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 541 posts

Posted: 21 Oct 19, 00:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katydyd...Those Brian and Roger "talks videos" are some of my favorites. I always love behind the scenes info. I have the "Rock Montreal" concert video. One night I watched the entire concert, then watched it again a second time just to listen to Brian and Roger's commentary!

Thereuhaveit...First off, a belated welcome to you! I smiled reading your comments about eye-rolling from your husband. I have also experienced the good natured "eye roll". I have to admit that I now say things on purpose, knowing I will get the eye-roll. While my husband and I are watching TV, I often hear or see something that prompts me to turn to him and say "That reminds me of Freddie." After I explain what I mean, I get the eye roll. I know it is coming and I just smile. We were at a zoo this summer reading some information about mountain goats that happened to mention the ibex. IBEX....ooh, “That reminds me of Freddie” I tell him! LOL.

Amidds...I also notice the clothing Freddie wears. One shirt I have long been curious about is the one he wears at his 40th birthday party...It is a red with the words "Moving up Joyy" written on the front. I’ve always wondered if that meant anything. Here's an attachment. Ideas anyone?

Attachment: 201910211907506027.jpg 14 KB
This has been downloaded 17 time(s).

Posted: 21 Oct 19, 00:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks, Rainbow! Haha--I do the same thing: 'speaking of...when I read blippity-blop about Freddie, I learned blah, blah, blah.' And then, the look. He thinks I'm nuts. I have to believe that at some point, this will stop, but when? :) But I am impressed that you could link an Ibex to Freddie--truly impressive!

I've wondered the same thing about that shirt. Is that Anita Dobson who is standing with him? I only know her as May's wife, but I believe they met through Freddie.

Posted: 21 Oct 19, 00:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katydid, I’m not on FB much either so please feel free to share any pics here :))). I did fall into the Brian and Roger talk vids last night after watching the one you posted. So, thanks again for that! They are soooooo interesting! Now I’m just wondering how I haven’t come across them before?!?!?

Rainbow, another good one with no google results. I know Phoebe and Joe would buy a lot of his clothes for him based on things or colors he liked so it’s possible both of those shirts mean nothing but, he had a penchant for wearing “character” or club shirts so much, it just made me wonder!