Forums > Queen - General Discussion > As it began ' or any other books

forum rss feed
Author

doughnut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 643 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Sep 19, 21:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Starting this thread as there are some that have lots to talk about after and whilst reading ' as it began '.
Also I've just had delivery of ' Freddie in his own words '
Anyone else for this and can spot the new text ?

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 459 posts

Posted: 09 Sep 19, 23:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've just finished AIB. Liked it better with the second read!

I'm also reading Freddie In His Own Words. I was really hoping they would add an addendum to readily identify the new material, but no such luck. Since I have the original book too I suppose I could hold them side by side to compare, but I'm too lazy. I do wish it was sourced, but of course, it's not.

Amidds user is on Queenzone.com

Champion: 87 posts

Posted: 10 Sep 19, 01:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was debating buying In His Own Words due to reviews of no sourcing and the price for hardcover on Amazon was over $200. Did end up getting free on Kindle so I just started reading it. Only 2 chapters in and I do recognize a lot of the interviews but am really wishing they had sourced it! If anyone does a comparison, please let us know what you find.

Recently finished AIB and was waiting for others to catch up (not that anyone else has to), hopefully they will keep us posted on their progress!

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 459 posts

Posted: 10 Sep 19, 03:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds, I paid $11.95 for IHOW on Amazon. I wonder why the version you saw was so expensive. I have Kindle but I'm one of those people who prefers to be holding a book. I had the older version in the bag of books to take to the second hand book store, but I got it out to take downstairs and try to compare. I think there is a list of sources in the back of the book but it's just a general list and not helpful.

Can you hear Freddie's voice while you read?

Posted: 10 Sep 19, 07:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds surely that's not the price of the revised edition ? That's crazy .
I have read bits and have spotted some additions . I won't say until you have finished .
I got it free on kindle too .

Katy I enjoyed as it began because it wasn't full of gossip . Obviously we know a lot more about certain times now but I still found it enjoyable . For me it's the fact Freddie read it . That gives it a deal of approval for me .

There are comments about Freddie from certain people that really made me chuckle .

Posted: 10 Sep 19, 13:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yep, that's the price showing up. Remember though, that's the hardcover and I'm sure they are 3rd party sellers grouped with the new, softcover selling for $11.99. IDK if there's a difference b/t the soft/hard so I took the Kindle until I can figure that out and then will probably buy it for my collection. I, too, have always preferred holding an actual book - I'm old fashioned that way plus I can mark the pages for later reference.

Don't hold back on my account with referencing IHOW or pointing out the new additions. So far, I recognize a lot of the interviews so you won't be spoiling anything for me AND I doubt I'll ever purchase an original so would love to hear about the differences.

As a point of discussion - I agree that Freddie gave his approval on the book but I doubt he actually read it. All the statements from Phoebe in his books and his blog have always emphasized that he NEVER saw FM reading except some catalogs whether due to his impatience or lack of interest. Plus, I believe it was given to the band in the year before his death when he was working so hard on his music and suffering so badly, I just don't see it. I feel that at that point, he either: asked someone to skim it for him, blindly gave his approval because he knew he could trust these people with sensitive info, or figured "who cares - I won't be here" (can't remember the exact quote). Obviously, I could be wrong but, if I'm right, it's at least nice to know that he felt he could trust the authors with details of his life and does add weight that their info can be trusted!

Katydid - will answer your question from the other thread here re: Montreux - I have no doubt that everyone would indulge me and look at it as an enjoyable time! They all love Queen too, just not obsessed like I am! It just might really come down to time off/cost of airfare/cost of event tickets. One couple is going to Paris this month, we are all going to Ireland in April and I regularly travel to Fl to see my daughter so when you add all that up, it gets expensive!

Posted: 10 Sep 19, 17:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds I must admit that it did cross my mind about Freddie reading the book . I think they said Jan 91 but I could be wrong . In one way I think he wouldn't have had the time or inclanation but part of me recalls what a perfectionist he was and makes me think he would have wanted to proof read it .

Either way it has band approval unlike so many others .

Regarding in his own words , it's £9.99 on UK Amazon . I don't get how they can charge so much more for it in the us . I have it and it's hardcover size but more softcover if this makes sense. The cover has a !lovely photo of Freddie .

There is a character whereby Freddie talks about not being able to dance very well but Roger got him in the dance floor once and he said he ended up trying to do what he did on.
stage , treading on people's feet along the way. He said he didn't do it often as a result.
I don't recall this from the original book .
Also a quote saying ' Edith Piaf did it and so can I , I have a,hairdresser husband '

I see you are visiting Ireland, what part ? It's lovely in Ireland .
I too would love to visit montreaux .

JB050 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 197 posts

Posted: 10 Sep 19, 17:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I made it here!!! Took me a minute to find right thread. Haha. Doughnut-thanks for starting it. Re-posting update now that I’m in right place:

All- made good progress on AIB last night.
Made some notes and taking pic of certain pages since won’t have book to refer to. If anyone has specific page know we will discuss if you let me know I’ll make sure to copy that page before returning. Haaa haaa.

Hope everyone is having a good day.

Posted: 10 Sep 19, 17:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Chapter not character

Posted: 10 Sep 19, 17:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jb glad you made it. I can't think of anything specific so feel.free to start .

When do you have to return it ?

Posted: 10 Sep 19, 17:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I had a funny question. All speculation of course. Wonder if Peter F would have insight: laughing as I type I wondered if Freddie would have read the book or asked someone to read it to him. :) just wondering.

Thank you again for your kindness and patience waiting for me to catch up. I’m sure it’s challenging to wait so long after your done and ready.

I should be done this week. Am I the only one still reading?

If so, please feel free to discuss. Will be fun to see points as I read. I have noted some questions too.

Thank you again so much for thinking about me and waiting for me. :))

Posted: 10 Sep 19, 17:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katy, so interesting that you liked it better on second read! I’m catching up on this thread now. Going to read all posts during my lunch hour. Can’t wait to see the insights, questions, and discussions

Posted: 10 Sep 19, 18:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ok. Disregard my question. Great minds thinking alike. I hadn’t caught up yet to see it covered.

I am somewhere in the middle (Haha) although lean toward old school do I got both. Kindle, so i can search and highlight and read anywhere and softcover (to add to collection and do like holding a book too. It was doable. (I did get 11.00 in US Amazon)

Doughnut- due back on Sept. 16th. Seriously good with starting and not holding up. You have all been extremely kind and impressive waiting so long after you finished. My thanks!!

Posted: 10 Sep 19, 18:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katy! Oh yes! I sure do hear his voice and inflections from interviews. For ones I haven’t heard I’m imagining how he would say it.
After reading some pchapters in IHOW I’m excited to see there may actually be some I haven’t seen yet. Yay! I’ll definitely be asking about those in case anyone has and has links. It did sound like some may have been unreleased.
Anyone coming across some unfamiliar quotes too??

I absolutely love that book. Can soooo see and hear him. :)

Posted: 10 Sep 19, 18:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You know you’ve watched interviews a lot when noting a word missing from a quote. Haha. Unless he said it similarly in a different interview. Swear I’ve seen two so far where seems like a word is missing. Hahahaha

Posted: 10 Sep 19, 18:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

See what happens when I try to make up for lost time :). Last one for me for now—-I think....

“Also a quote saying ' Edith Piaf did it and so can I , I have a,hairdresser husband '

——wonder if this is one of the previously unreleased quotes since he was so protective. Has anyone seen/heard him interview where he says this. Hard to tell since they are putting different interviews together... if that line as part of the 1987 Ibiza interview.

Posted: 10 Sep 19, 18:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jb I have read somewhere in the internet that he said the hairdresser quote to.a German reporter . I've been trying to find and having no luck .
I don't think he said it to David wigg but could be wrong .

It's makes sense he said it to a German reporter as he lived more openly in munich .

Did you see that I think Freddie talking about his dancing in a club once wasn't great . I'm sure that's a new bit.

Posted: 10 Sep 19, 19:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

How interesting! I haven't heard either of those quotes regarding the hairdresser husband or dancing in a club! I LOVE when something new comes up!!!

I agree with the point of Freddie approving the book even if he didn't read it. I hope Phoebe does his blog again because that would definitely go on my list of questions for him!

Doughnut - I'll try to be brief so as not to bore anyone but our tentative stops in Ireland so far are: Dublin, Blarney Castle, Ring of Kerry, King Johns Castle, Burren National Park, the Cliffs of Moher/Aran Islands and Newgrange. Trying to pacify everyone's wish list in the 1 week we will be there! It would honestly take me a month to see everything worthwhile! We do plan on staying in 2 castle airbnb's as well - so excited!!! If you have any suggestions, would love to hear them! The list I have so far has mainly come from recommendations. I also thought briefly about a stop in Carlow but am thinking not at this point.

Posted: 10 Sep 19, 21:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Please stop me if I’m revealing too much ahead of anyone’s reading.

Anyone recognize this quote from IHOW... I don’t recall seeing/ hearing it before. It’s so funny...

They can go and buy somebody else’s record. I’m not going to lose sleep or come up in a rash if somebody says, “Oh my God, that’s terrible!” I’m too long in the tooth, dears.

Posted: 10 Sep 19, 23:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds! Sounds like an Amazing trip. Having people who want to travel is so great!

I know what you mean about those decisions of how much and what to do.

Will be an AIB night again for me. :) woo hoo!