Forums > Queen - General Discussion > As it began ' or any other books

forum rss feed
Author

Katydyd5 user is on Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 515 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Sep 19, 00:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I did a mini comparison between the old and new copies of IHOW, and it looks to me so far like some of the quotes are fleshed out. I can't even begin to do Freddie's accent so when I'm reading, I'm not hearing him all the time. However, specific words pop out at me in his accent. This is silly, but for some reason today I read the word "household" in his accent. It almost jumped out at me. I think because I've heard him say it in the bubble bath video at the very end, and I find "household" to be more of a British word. I have no idea why.

JB, I think I liked AIB better the second time around because it was an early read for me. This time I was much more familiar with the timeline and the book flowed along. Still, I do find it kind of dry, so I'm hoping you guys can jump start me with some questions or observations.

JB050 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 373 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 19, 01:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katy. That’s so funny. I love it. Yes! I know exactly what you mean. That happened to me in some places too.

Amidds user is on Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 194 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 19, 01:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So here’s something interesting, a difference between IHOW and AIB.....chapter 3 of IHOW, Freddie is talking about performing BoRhap live and how they never use back up tapes. I believe in AIB, Jackie stated that they used tapes for the opera portion all the time when performing BoRhap due to the difficulty of performing it live. I don’t have my notes with me on AIB so maybe I’m not sourcing this right. Anyone notice this?

I’m not implying any lies here, the discrepancy just jumped out at me. Honestly, I would expect back up tapes during that song, if not just because recreating it live would be difficult but the strain on their voices could affect the rest of the show. Maybe.... I’m no singer!

Jimmy Dean user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 863 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 19, 02:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

When they performed bohrhap originally, it was part of a medley - no backing tapes at all as it excluded the opera section altogether. However, he probably means no backing tapes during their performance. The opera section was not performed, just played with a light show. So both statements are accurate.

And given the multi tracks on the opera section, it would be very obvious if they attempted to do that live without backing tapes.

Maybe I’m being a dick but have you actually listened to a live rendition of BohRhap that was not from live aid?

Posted: 11 Sep 19, 09:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds,
I was just reading about that. Thought it was in IHOW, but not positive. Since I was flipping between the two...not sure which book. Haha. I’ll be cross-checking :))

Posted: 11 Sep 19, 12:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jimmy Dean, I appreciate your insight but maybe I should have been more clear to those who might not be reading the books. In IHOW, FM said that yes, they sang it mostly in medleys but then decided to perform the song in its entirety w/o the backing tapes because tapes were NEVER used. In AIB, it was said that they performed the song in its entirety on many occasions WITH tapes.

And yes, I have seen many performances of BoRhap but it’s always been in medley. That makes sense to me due to the operatic portion as I said previously. Unfortunately neither book sourced exactly with performances they were referencing so I was looking for some insight.

JB, since you still have AIB, maybe you can see if Jackie referenced something that I don’t remember?

Posted: 11 Sep 19, 15:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

will do!! :))

Posted: 12 Sep 19, 03:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds—I am working on your great research question. (I love those kind of questions!)

I am spoiled with the books I have on kindle for quick searches. Although it’s good for me to have to do hands on research. Im still flipping through the book. I’ve skimmed the chapters when bohemian rhapsody was released and some of the touring pages.

Am continuing on.... I’m determined. Haha.

Posted: 12 Sep 19, 03:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It’s also interesting that, as you said, we don’t k ow which interview/date when he said that.... all very interesting.

Posted: 12 Sep 19, 12:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good morning all. While I’m still researching :). I have a question to throw out:

Page 130 AIB anyone else seeing it as they are showing Garden Lodge being discovered and purchased in 1980. I think it was Jim’s book that said late 70’s. Thought read something by Peter that said late 70’s too. Anyone else recall that too? Thoughts? Very interesting...

Have a nice day!

Posted: 12 Sep 19, 13:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

JB - wow, I remember that striking me too! Not only the year but the fact that FM discovered Garden Lodge while he was out and about (on his own) vs. found my Mary. It's funny that the little things strike you too :). I know it's not a big deal, just gets me wondering if it's bad memories that make the differences, lack of attention to detail or something else. Hmmm, another research project?

Posted: 12 Sep 19, 14:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds- I love it! yep me too I. I like that our brains work the same. Haha. I thought the same exact thing you did: not at all a big deal in the big scheme of things, similar timeframe. But does make our brains go on curiosity overdrive. :-))). And, wonder who may have been involved, if anyone in the process, where he was in his life, etc. Yes more research for sure. I try to turn it off and yet find myself deep in details. :))) they just pop out.

Posted: 13 Sep 19, 15:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Another discrepancy.....in reviewing my notes from AIB - the references to IBEX and Wreckage contradict other accounts. Specifically, AIB mentions FM being friends with Roger and Brian prior to him joining IBEX and states that FM started the band Wreckage. Other sources (including Minns book I believe) state that FM joined IBEX and talked them into changing the name to Wreckage. I was trying to verify the into today and came across the FM.com site (where Phoebe's blog is) and that source says that FM met Brian and Roger after he had joined Wreckage.

Again, not a big deal I suppose but it really makes you wonder what you can believe from "good sources" when even something like this differs. Oh well, just this will just go on the "mystery" wall lol!

Posted: 13 Sep 19, 17:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds

That’s so funny. And reminded me of the story one of the Wreckage band mates told in an interview about him calling each member saying the others were good with changing the name.... he said the same to each of them. So perfectly slick. And so perfectly before call waiting. Haha.

Our detailed research brains are on fire... in the best way. :)

Posted: 13 Sep 19, 21:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Haha!!! Haven’t seen / heard this quote before
Page 1705—-IHOW——-“Mr Bad Guy is released on CBS, you know; Cocks, Bollocks and Satisfaction!”
On kindle it shows that 4 readers highlighted it so far. Haha

Posted: 14 Sep 19, 14:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katy

(I did a mini comparison between the old and new copies of IHOW, and it looks to me so far like some of the quotes are fleshed out.)

Are you noticing a big difference?

Cool that you are seeing more from all the info you have gathered. I definitely will want to do another read so many good details to remember. :)

Katydyd5 user is on Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 515 posts

Posted: 14 Sep 19, 15:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

JB, no, not much difference at all other than a bit more detail in some of the quotes. I'm still glad I have this one because I began to highlight things I liked. Normally I won't mark a book at all, but there were things I wanted to remember. I do like having his thoughts all in one place.

Posted: 16 Sep 19, 12:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good morning!

In AIB says Freddie popped out of a Santa in Australia, I believe. (There first experience there was very interesting)

Has Anyone come across a video of him doing that?

Thanks Katy! I agree.
It’s so great to be immersed in these books.

Posted: 16 Sep 19, 14:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

JB, those are the little nuggets I love to read about! I remember searching around after I read that and couldn't find a video or other mention of it, so disappointing!! Loved the CBS quote you mentioned!

I'm only about halfway through IHOW. I admit, the lack of sourcing and continuity, when they seem to combine different quotes together, throws me off! I agree, Katydyd, it's nice to have all his thoughts in one place, I just feel it could've been done a bit better. I think that's the "researcher" in me. I hear a quote and think "that's now how I remember that" or "that sounds familiar but I can't remember where I read that" and then I either go down the rabbit hole trying to find it or get lazy and move on lol!

doughnut user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 669 posts

Posted: 16 Sep 19, 14:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

amidds Greg Brooks is on FB and does answer questions as best as he can. Maybe get yourself over to his page if you have FB as it may help with discrepancies x