Forums > Queen - General Discussion > As it began ' or any other books

forum rss feed
Author

Amidds user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 199 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Sep 19, 15:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Doughnut, thanks for the tip, I'll check it out. I know it's a "me" problem, that the discrepancies are irritating so I really just try to get over it lol!

Posted: 16 Sep 19, 17:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Does anyone recognize this quote or know the context? "At the moment I’m living totally alone, believe it or not, and I’m loving it. I’ve got rid of three people that worked with me and that was wonderful." Chapter 6 of IHOW. About mid chapter if you have the book, pg 1532 if you have Kindle. In trying to go in time with the quote in the chapter, it would seem to be after 1985 and doesn't ring any bells for me.

JB050 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 384 posts

Posted: 16 Sep 19, 22:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Amidds!!
I swear I heard him say that in an interview. Can’t remember if it as audio or video. Think it was a David W interview. I will see if I can locate it. Maybe someone else will come up with it right away. :))

I also did more AIB reading last night. Still not coming across the Bohemian Rhapsody performance answer. But still have ground to cover. Also. I finally checked rather than rely on my memory and my copy is due back Thursday. They said if no-one has it on reserve, I may be able to get an extension. Yay!

No reading for me tomorrow because.......I’ll be at WWRY....Can’t wait!

Posted: 16 Sep 19, 22:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Doughnut, really good to know!!

Posted: 16 Sep 19, 22:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

OMG JB! How exciting! Be sure to give us a “review” on WWRY. That’s another one of those things where I’ve heard good and bad things about, couldn’t make up my mind so I’m gonna miss it. At this point I just keep telling myself that I’ll put the $ towards Montreux but, if that ends up not happening, I will be one sorry chick!

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 518 posts

Posted: 16 Sep 19, 23:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

One comment on IHOW. It's not sourced, it can make you crazy if you know the quote but can't quite place it, but I do like having his words in one place. I also like that the book is organized by topic. If I'm looking for something specific I can locate the topic and check.

JB, would you put your WWRY review on the other thread? I don't check this one often and I'd like to see what you think.

Galileo1564 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 208 posts

Posted: 17 Sep 19, 01:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There was some discussion of audio books on Thor’s thread. I thought I’d answer here as this is the book thread. I really like audio books. They’re great in the car when I don’t want to listen to music, and while doing household chores. And just when I don’t want to read a physical book.

I have Queen Unseen as an audiobook and enjoyed the way it was read.

Posted: 17 Sep 19, 01:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Amidds and Katy,
I will definitely post about WWRY on the other thread :).

Amidds, ya, I watched a snip online but didn’t want to see too much ahead. :))

darcy-wright user not visiting Queenzone.com
darcy-wright
Champion: 75 posts

Posted: 17 Sep 19, 03:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As it began was my first book or any knowledge of any thing Queen back in the 90s. I remember reading the discography wondering what the b sides were like as not remotely a possibility of ever hearing.

and having no internet to fact check was the gospel, truth, lies and exagerations.

good to see in 2019 that hasnt ended for a man whos been dead 28 years.

Posted: 17 Sep 19, 04:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Galileo- great idea.
Hmmm I may have to put Queen Unseen on my to-read list.

Doughnut - mentioned Greg Brooks (thanks again) of course I had to find him online and came across an interview, which most of you have probably heard, with him about how he worked behind the scenes to assist with requests during the making of the Bohemian Rhapsody movie. It was really interesting. I need to finish it. Also great audio for the car! It was so cool to hear him describe the level of organization of Queen’s archives. Not surprised. Haven’t heard him before. Could have listened to him talk for hours. :)

Darcy-Wright. Very interesting! Do you recall what resource you discovered after AIB in he 90s? Right, no internet. How did you discover AIB?

Posted: 17 Sep 19, 14:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Galileo, Queen Unseen was a very good book! Had me laughing a lot and was interesting to hear about the behind the scenes stuff. Definitely recommend to anyone who hasn't picked that up.

Darcy, even now, in 2019, the fact checking is hard! While the info is out there, now you have to wade through some crap to find the good stuff unfortunately! I do love that I can just pop over to YouTube and play the songs they're referencing in the books while I'm reading though!

JB, haven't heard that interview with Greg Brooks yet, will have to find. Most social media is blocked at my office and I haven't had time to look him up at home yet.

cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3738 posts

Posted: 17 Sep 19, 14:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Katydyd5 wrote:

I also like that the book is organized by topic. If I'm looking for something specific I can locate the topic and check.

This would be possibly with most books if they had a comprehensive index of key words.

Posted: 17 Sep 19, 16:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds. This is the one I was listening to. So good.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B_rFAdAevnw

I’ll post it on the other thread too in case anyone else is interested.

Posted: 18 Sep 19, 00:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

JB, thanks for the link it was very cool. That would be such an awesome job! I could just see myself getting nothing done though cause I would be so in awe of everything to see lol! Hope you’re having a blast at WWRY!!!

Doughnut, does Greg Brooks have a specific FB account where he answers questions? After I dusted off my FB login info (it’s literally been years), I found a page for him but it didn’t seem like he was taking questions??? Maybe I didn’t look too hard but thought I’d ask.

darcy-wright user not visiting Queenzone.com
darcy-wright
Champion: 75 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 19, 02:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't remember exactly who got me the book, but expect that it was my Dad. i would have been 12ish.. His friend from work probably advised him as he had all the lps and cds and solo and singles in his house so he copied all his records onto cassette tapes for me.

I did do a famous person report on brian may as safer (being only a few years after freddies death) and used aib as a reference / bible - but I still got razzed for liking a "poof" band and a "poof guitar player who was gay with freddie etc etc" and the classic ... course no-one had access to stuff except what older brothers parents / uncles told em, so was like yelling at the wind when I said the book says he has a wife / new wife / kids....

Posted: 18 Sep 19, 16:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Darcy, do you still have that AIB book? If so - HOLD ONTO IT! They are so hard to find right now and a few of us had to go through quite a bit to find library copies. Of course, it's probably just a matter of time before it gets republished but who knows?

How sad that you had that experience giving your report. It's too bad that some people will never change. It's like they WANT to live with hate in their hearts and hold on to negative, unfounded beliefs no matter what. I'm sure their ignorant minds wouldn't have changed if they had heard differently from Brian, Roger and John directly!!

Posted: 18 Sep 19, 18:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

JB - I found it!!! AIB references a Milwaukee concert in Jan 1977 where "they played Bohemian Rhapsody in its entirety for the first time". I will see if there is another mention but I'm guessing not. I believe that was a rarity and doubt that concert was ever recorded.....

cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3738 posts

Posted: 18 Sep 19, 18:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don’t believe for one moment they played Bo Rhap ‘in its entirety’ and this is just inaccurate use of language: I reckon that reference means it was the first time they didn’t just stop after the solo and segue into another track, but played the opera part on tape and came back out for the heavy section to complete the song.

Besides, it wouldn’t be ‘in its entirety’ as they wouldn’t have played the pre piano vocal intro part!

Posted: 18 Sep 19, 18:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

JB, I spoke too soon lol! It does say that they left the stage during the multi-track section. I guess that does still answer the question though - they did play it in it's "entirety" per the FM quote, just not the operatic section which still doesn't surprise me.

Posted: 19 Sep 19, 01:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Woo hoo Amidds!!! Way to go!!! You get the research gold star! Sadly, my copy is returned, but I am on list to get it back. Haha! I really like your reply to Darcy!

Darcy, how cool that you did a report on Brian!! Do you recall what your teacher said? Sounds like you had a great music influence :)
Glad you held to your love of Queen and didn’t feel influenced by the negativity of your peers. I always think how unfortunate it is that people close off what is good in the world that way.

I remember (informally) debating classmates in high school who didn’t like The Who (Haha)

I’m glad you came to this thread! Hope you stay!