Forums > Queen - General Discussion > As it began ' or any other books

forum rss feed
Author

Amidds user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 199 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Sep 19, 13:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

JB - after one of your recent posts, I returned to the library to request it again. They hadn't returned it so I got it back lol!!! I have a much better idea of the info I want to look up in it and will take more notes in the next 2 weeks-because I, apparently, have nothing better to do ;).

CMS - I definitely agree that "entirety" was not meant literally. However, with Queen liking to play their songs differently live so the fans got a different experience from just listening to the album, I was really hoping for some rare gem where they had played some full version of it! Again, obviously without the extensive layering/opera parts. I love stumbling across some live version of one of their songs that I haven't seen before and hearing how they mix it up - so damn interesting!!

JB050 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 384 posts

Posted: 19 Sep 19, 20:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds. Haha! I love it. Great minds.....thinking alike!
This is perfect actually because my wait is 3 weeks.

Posted: 19 Sep 19, 20:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds. Haha! I love it. Great minds.....thinking alike!
This is perfect actually because my wait is 3 weeks.

Posted: 20 Sep 19, 05:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Question From IHOW—-

Is the “I cry rivers” quote a little out of context or has anyone heard it said together this way?

In terms of love, you’re never in control and I hate that feeling. I’ve cried rivers. I may be tough on the outside, but I’m very soft-centred.

I just remember hearing it in the DW interview when asked if he ever cries and what triggers it. And he said it’s s build up ...

Thanks!

Posted: 20 Sep 19, 13:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

JB - seriously, we may want to get tested.....just caught that too! I had also just read a post from Ask Phoebe where someone asked if he ever saw Freddie cry and he basically said no. Just thought it was interesting that I came across this topic so closely together in time. Not sure what you mean by out of context though - in relation to the other quotes in the chapter?

I've decided to re-read the books I have, now that I have read so much, for comparison. Decided to start with the David Minns book (re-issued after his death) and I seriously forgot how distraught Minns sounds in the first few chapters.......

Posted: 20 Sep 19, 15:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds-good idea to go back and read. I may get to join you. Just might take me a little bit.

Yes out if context meaning it was put in with quotes in same paragraph that I wasn’t sure he really said all at the same time to add up to the meaning that he cries from feeling out of control in relationships.

Which could be true, don’t we all .. haha. But struck me because I thought I recalled David specifically ask if he cries, he said yes I cry rivers, and David asked what would make you cry, relationships? He said it’s more of a build up of things.

I’m so like it sounds you are my curious, detailed mind wants to unpack and understand details even though I know some of the interview answers were cleverly evasive to maintain his privacy. It’s really less about trying to figure out when he cried(Haha) as wondering if he said it exactly that way and I missed it.

I love that... we should get tested. We are amazingly in sync!

Posted: 20 Sep 19, 15:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Also dawns on me that we are probably hearing edited audio that the archivist have more than what we hear which is really cool too.

Posted: 20 Sep 19, 16:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Can't locate that exact quote but, there were times while reading IHOW where I did feel as if they were crossing interviews/quotes, etc because it would seem a little out of context. Freddie did have a tendency in interviews to start to answer then change direction or act nervous. And yes, the unfortunate need to hide so much of himself to protect Queen, his family, friends, etc.

Saw this on another QZ thread which kinda relates to what we're talking about and, as it's his pre-smoking years (he said he started to give his hands something to do) you can see the restlessness or nervousness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzssoUj_0rs

Posted: 21 Sep 19, 14:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Amidds! is the book you are re-reading This Was The Real Life by David Evans and David Minns? Or do you have something different?

I can’t watch these interviews enough too. It is interesting to watch the early interviews of just him and then later ones with him smoking, having drinks etc. I had come across a radio interview (maybe from QZ) from Chicago/70s I think where you could hear Freddie and the interviewer pouring and drinking tea, and think they may have had Food item to go along w it but not positive. I just remember could hear the glasses clinking etc. it’s interesting but not surprising that, in a way, his interviews were also ‘entertainment’ I often think he would have had that all thought through. I wonder what his interview preparation was like, if he did any at all.

Posted: 21 Sep 19, 14:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Amidds! is the book you are re-reading This Was The Real Life by David Evans and David Minns? Or do you have something different?

I can’t watch these interviews enough too. It is interesting to watch the early interviews of just him and then later ones with him smoking, having drinks etc. I had come across a radio interview (maybe from QZ) from Chicago/70s I think where you could hear Freddie and the interviewer pouring and drinking tea, and think they may have had Food item to go along w it but not positive. I just remember could hear the glasses clinking etc. it’s interesting but not surprising that, in a way, his interviews were also ‘entertainment’ I often think he would have had that all thought through. I wonder what his interview preparation was like, if he did any at all.

Posted: 21 Sep 19, 14:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, that’s the book but it’s the one that was re-released by David Evans after Davis Minns death so includes portions of memoir Minns was working on. Have you read that?

I also posted a YouTube link on the other forum that you should check out. Wanted to share with the bigger forum but it is a Phoebe interview which actually touches on some topics we’ve discussed here. Not enough hours in the day to watch all the videos out there!

Interesting thought on FM preparing for an interview! He disliked them so much that I can’t see him “wasting” any more time on them than necessary BUT, there was such a huge portion of his life he felt he had to keep hidden that I can also see him giving some thought to previous statements he made to keep consistent????? Excellent Phoebe question actually!

Posted: 22 Sep 19, 02:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Amidds-so strange I swore I replied to your post-but didn’t show up. Must not have hit “post reply”

I do have the same version of the book that you do. Woo hoo! I’m glad we will be re-reading and discussing it. There is a passage from David Minns that I go back to often ... his explanation of the generations. It’s so perfectly insightful. I also think about David Evan’s saying He hoped David was remembered for more than the relationship-how much he had done and contributed. I have a hard time finding more about him than what is in the book—-Which is excellent. Maybe I’ll search QZ too.

Great minds think alike....interview prep question submitted. :)

Hope your having a nice weekend. Mine’s been pretty full... please excuse delayed replies. ;)

Katydyd5 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 518 posts

Posted: 23 Sep 19, 12:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Evans/Minns books is one of my favorites. I liked hearing impressions of Freddie from people who were, for the most part, less well known.

Posted: 23 Sep 19, 13:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes Katydyd I agree! I feel as if the less well known give us a sense of Freddie as he was in real life instead of the persona he felt like he needed to project.

JB-in re-reading his book and being more familiar, I find myself almost amazed at times with how much David contributed. It is unfortunate that both David's will probably be most remembered for their relationship with FM along with people like Joe Fanelli and the unfortunate John Murphy (all the lies). And, of course, when you try to search more about them because they become "known" to you through the readings, all you find is the same old stories/lies/rumors that have been circulating for years. Minn's quote from the book "it was, and still is claimed by those homophobes surrounding him that I, and I alone made, or turned Freddie gay" seems to be the info I find most about him. So sad!!!!

Posted: 23 Sep 19, 23:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello Katy & Amidds!! I completely agree with you both. I have done various keyword searches, even including Paul McCartney and keeps coming up with relationship info. I’m so glad that David E included the memoir writing, and what an absolutely beautiful tribute.

So, this is the perfect “book” conversation for a question I had noted, since we are juggling 3 books. (Love it)

Page 91. AIB Says in summer 1975, Freddie was introduced to Eddie Howell. Wasn’t that a David Minns introduction? Wasn’t David managing Eddie? Why suppose David was not included? Sounded like they were able to be friendly later on Freddie visiting him, . David going to 40th Hat party, etc.

I checked This Was The Real Life—confirmed
Here is the quote:
“The year I met Freddie was one of great hopes and great excitement. For the show case launch of The Eddie Howell Gramophone Record, Moira Bellas at Warners had found Thursdays Club a restaurant bar in Kensington High Street almost next door to the Hypermarket where Freddie had once sold second hand clothes. Eddie had been rehearsing with fellow band members including Phil Collins who amazingly agreed to play at the launch attended by press, industry folk. Early evening all our friends, Eddie’s family and most of Warners staff had gathered to support him and the place was packed. To my absolute surprise Freddie was very keen to be with me and I was thankful for his support.”

Your thoughts?

Posted: 24 Sep 19, 01:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Trying to phrase this the right way so I don’t sound like I’m being petty BUT, AIB, seems to be one of those things written to exclude Freddie’s sexuality. No reference to his partners, really, except very short references to Jim. Even then, those references are non- specific as to their relationship. When they reference the other band members’ relationships, they are much more specific. I believe it was out of respect of Freddie’s wishes though so I’m not complaining, however, point being that, if they aren’t going to go down that road, how could they include David Minns? And, since AIB was mostly written, and approved by all band members, before Freddie’s death, they would have essentially been outing him. So, I get what they were doing but it makes me appreciate the books out there by Minns, Hutton and Phoebe that don’t hide the truth. Of course, Thor and Lee’s book will help to fill in an important part of his life that is honest and Is missing from other sources!

Posted: 24 Sep 19, 01:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Great point!!!

Posted: 24 Sep 19, 12:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And keeping in mind the timeframe when this was written is a perfect perspective too. :) thanks!

We have the information now so it catches our eye but when this book was released it would not have been known. It’s good how protective they were. And I agree it’s so good that David and Jim were able to tell their stories and that we have those too.

Have a nice day!

Posted: 25 Sep 19, 17:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds and Katy—so much fun listening to this interview again.
You are right, not enough time in the day for reading, listening/watching.

This is the 1977 Detroit interview where he talks about stage sho and tapes, among other things. Great interview, I think. And, the one where he is having tea. :)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BiKERCmW0R0

Posted: 26 Sep 19, 13:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

JB-nice interview. Love how you found this with the BoRhap reference!!! We have an internet company putting new cables in our neighborhood so we've been losing internet for hours at a time.....of course I lost service while listening to this and wanted to go out and yell at them!!! (Geez, third world problem lol!).

Of course, I get to concentrate on the books more now.....I just came across the mention in AIB about the ad FM did for Vogue. I must not have paid much attention to it the first read through, but, found the ad and had no idea that that's where that pic came from!!! I've seen that pic so many times and had no idea!!! Am i the only one?