Forums > Queen - General Discussion > As it began ' or any other books

forum rss feed
Author

JB050 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 370 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Oct 19, 17:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds— thank you very much! I could not agree with you more on a very deep level about all that you said!!!

That was exactly the first thing I wanted to do when Thor and Lee are backups to offer my condolences to them (and everyone else) I can not even begin know what it was like to lose so many friends. Wasn’t it Phoebe... or maybe David E..., or Paul G ... who described the delayed mourning because of how many losses they were enduring. And so very well said about Thor and Lee sharing something positive, sharing a glimpse of their friendship and memories!!!!

I am I th you trying to get back to reading. IHOW is easiest cus have it on kindle so keep reading it on the go,,, lunch breaks.... waiting rooms... grocery line? Haha

Have a nice day all

Posted: 12 Oct 19, 17:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And love the “one upper” expression. I think I just contributed another few cents.

Posted: 12 Oct 19, 17:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And love the “one upper” expression. I think I just contributed another few cents.

MyHumanZoo user not visiting Queenzone.com
MyHumanZoo
Rocker: 31 posts

Posted: 13 Oct 19, 01:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

May I ask who Thor and Lee are? I’ve seen them mentioned here, and of course noticed the other thread with their names, but since that is so many pages it may take me weeks to get through it all, lol! It looks like maybe they were friends of Freddie? I’d love to hear their story!

Thereuhaveit user is on Queenzone.com

Champion: 52 posts

Posted: 13 Oct 19, 02:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MHZ, it's well worth the time to scroll through that very long thread if you're interesting in learning more. There are plenty of long-time Queen/Mercury aficionados and their information is quite interesting. Lee and Thor were friends of FM, but it's best just to take some time and read through the information.

Posted: 13 Oct 19, 21:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MHZ. Here s the link to the first thread. Even reading Thor’s intro will explain a Lot.

http://www.queenzone.com/forums/1480243/clarification-of-thor-arnolds-role-in-freddies-life.aspx

Amidds user is on Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 188 posts

Posted: 14 Oct 19, 15:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MHZ, (as if enough people haven't already answered....), Thor met Freddie in New York circa 1981. They became friends along with 3 other of Thor's friends including Lee. Thor found QZ a couple of years ago and came on to dispel some of the untruths about himself, Freddie and the other "New York daughters" as Freddie called the group of friends. I guess Lee was a pretty prolific picture taker back in the day and they have decided to put together a coffee table book revolving around their friendship. They did set up a GoFundMe page to help with publishing costs and you can hear about the book in their own words: https://www.gofundme.com/f/freddiemercury-bk-w-50-unseen-pics.

I would suggest at least skimming the threads as Thor and Lee had answered many questions and told many wonderful stories about their time with Freddie.

Darnit JB! You have to be up to 7 cents already!!! Gah, my own 4 cents looks so meager in comparison lol!

Posted: 14 Oct 19, 18:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds— haha. How do you do that so well? I love your expressive language.. you don’t need emoji’s.
I’d say your last post gets you Five cents!!!

I figure as long as I’m posting here today, I should add something from my book notes. Maybe a half a cent. :))

AIB—-Pg 101-02 kee kee dee performed at Hyde park concert. Freddie mentions in interview w Dave Clark that Elton was at the dinner after. (Mr. Chows?).
John r manage at time. Was fun fact to see another connection that she was there too.

That’s all I have for today. Will get back to IHOW.

Have a nice day all!

Posted: 15 Oct 19, 01:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lol JB, how do YOU do it? You so get me :). Put another dime in your change jar lol!

I also do NOT remember that reference. Jeez, I feel like I can re-read these books a million times and still learn new stuff. That sounds either exciting or like dementia!

Posted: 15 Oct 19, 09:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Haaa haaa!!!!! I’m right there with you.
It’s like learning it .... all over again. :-)))

I guess that means we won’t run out of things to read :))

Posted: 15 Oct 19, 20:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just got word that AIB is ready for me at the library. Woo hoo. So, I have my focus for a few weeks. Amidds-you still have yours??

Posted: 15 Oct 19, 20:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nope, long gone but I took some real good notes this time. I even looked up copyright laws and found that you can copy 10% of a book for personal use. Mwahaha! :)

Posted: 16 Oct 19, 00:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hee hee! Nice going!!!

MyHumanZoo user not visiting Queenzone.com
MyHumanZoo
Rocker: 31 posts

Posted: 16 Oct 19, 15:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you all for the info....I didn’t realize that this was “the” Thor that Freddie knew, I have read about him in books and seen documentaries mentioning him but for some reason I didn’t put it together. I suppose I was thinking it was just a screen name. I will definitely go back through the threads and read the information! Looking forward to the book too, what a wonderful project!

Posted: 18 Oct 19, 00:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

JB, let me know what hits you as you go through AIB. I’m kinda flipping through Treasures and Complete Works right now which don’t really have anything “new” so I can flip back to my notes on that one-you are really good at picking out little gems I seem to miss!

Posted: 18 Oct 19, 18:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds. Will do!!! :-))

Posted: 19 Oct 19, 02:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So this is probably very well known here on QZ. It’s just where I’ve picked back up in AIB. It’s talking about Queen being on tour two times in America in 1977. The part I found interesting and didn’t realize is that “two US tours in one year was unheard of” - 1st page of Chapter 10.
3 cents for tonight. :/))

Posted: 19 Oct 19, 19:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ok, I might earns some change here....I didn’t remember that entry (are we seeing a trend here lol), but I did look that up in my Complete Works book that I believe was recommended by Doughnut. It lists a Queen Lizzy N.A. Tour from Jan to Mar ‘77 and then News of the World in November and Dec ‘77. What’s even more interesting, is it lists Day at the Races tours in Europe and the UK and a We Are The Champions video shoot between the two Am tours. That takes some amazing stamina, maybe especially for their crew moving around tons on equipment!!!!!

On a sillier note, was just looking at the very common pic of FM with Michael Jackson where FM is wearing his Wear West Hollywood shirt. I’ve seen this pic a million times but this is the first I caught myself wondering that origin of the shirt; is it a store name, club name, etc? Google search didn’t really turn up much except for about a dozen places where I could buy a reproduction.....anyone know?

Posted: 20 Oct 19, 03:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amidds. Very interesting. That is incredible don’t know how they do it. Those schedules are grueling. Let’s go I think that should be 77 cents x 2. :) )

Great question. Wish I could help. Will let the experts answer that one.

CHEVYMAN user is on Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1035 posts

Posted: 20 Oct 19, 18:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jb050,I had to look this up that shirt isn't a brand name i dont think it represents nightlife in West Hollywood I'm guessing.A very popular part from what I understand I'm a simple gal from Oklahoma forgive me.