Forums > Queen + Adam Lambert > Best in decades

forum rss feed
Author

GonnaUseMyPrisoners user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 762 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Sep 19, 02:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Perhaps against all odds, TEMPOS were up to proper live speed (my biggest beef with recent tours), notes were well-articulated, no lengthy "can we celebrate Freddie together" awkward excuses... just fabulously presented rock & roll, with stunning harmonies and a rich visual presentation... there's just no getting around it - the Global Citizen performance of Q+AL was top notch - or, from another perspective, the best in decades. BRAVO.

...gonna use my prisoners, gonna give 'em the business...
Haystacks Calhoun II user not visiting Queenzone.com
Haystacks Calhoun II
Bohemian: 961 posts

Posted: 29 Sep 19, 04:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Agreed. A great performance.

The Golden Gate Bridge should have a long bungee cord for people who aren’t quite ready to commit suicide but want to get in a little practice.
runner_70 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2747 posts

Posted: 29 Sep 19, 07:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I lasted about 1 minute each song (except LOML). he annoying tool constantly changing the singing melodies was so annoying. He should never be let near a microphone. His annoying oversinging is even more prominent than in former times. And he is constantly off tempo.
They should really be ashamed onf themselves performing like this. Bloody awful. And May in his "masque" is just laughable

rockchic65 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2062 posts

Posted: 29 Sep 19, 07:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

runner_70 wrote:

I lasted about 1 minute each song (except LOML). he annoying tool constantly changing the singing melodies was so annoying. He should never be let near a microphone. His annoying oversinging is even more prominent than in former times. And he is constantly off tempo.
They should really be ashamed onf themselves performing like this. Bloody awful. And May in his "masque" is just laughable

For about the 100th time he's not Freddie so why do you expect him to sing it exactly like the original or how Freddie would? And for that matter when did Freddie ever not change the melody and phrasing live, he never copied the recordings and always improvised live so why should Adam be any different?

Posted: 29 Sep 19, 08:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If I want to hear Queen songs from a band they obviously still call QUeen (despite the "Plus" ) I expect not a free improvisation of the songs with annoying oversinging. Brian Johnsons never tried to find completely new melodie for the Bon Scott songs. Neither did Paul Rodgers in QPR. And it sounded absolutely embarrassing and offputting. and the "Look how high I can sing" has turned even worse. How annoying can this guy get???
Freddie surely changed some songs but it was always true to the original version. What Lamefart does is just adding completely new melodies and squeals in that do not fit a bit

rockchic65 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2062 posts

Posted: 29 Sep 19, 08:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

runner_70 wrote:

If I want to hear Queen songs from a band they obviously still call QUeen (despite the "Plus" ) I expect not a free improvisation of the songs with annoying oversinging. Brian Johnsons never tried to find completely new melodie for the Bon Scott songs. Neither did Paul Rodgers in QPR. And it sounded absolutely embarrassing and offputting. and the "Look how high I can sing" has turned even worse. How annoying can this guy get???

Paul changed the phrasing/melody all the time http://youtu.be/izMvfxxRbcE?t=164

Don't know about Bon & Brian since I've not compared them on the same songs but like I said you can't expect one singer to be copying another and doing things exactly the same unless they're a tribute band. Think we've already established you hate Adam so you're never gonna like his versions of the songs.

Iron Butterfly user not visiting Queenzone.com
Iron Butterfly
Deity: 4154 posts

Posted: 29 Sep 19, 09:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This was so far from the best, let alone in decades. I honestly don't remember the last time I cringed so much watching Q+AL.
I think they wanted a set with much Q+AL spectacle as possible, in a setting like this, it really didn't work, IMO.

Posted: 29 Sep 19, 10:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Iron Butterfly wrote:

This was so far from the best, let alone in decades. I honestly don't remember the last time I cringed so much watching Q+AL.
I think they wanted a set with much Q+AL spectacle as possible, in a setting like this, it really didn't work, IMO.

Cringeworthy as any QAL show

scottmax user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 451 posts

Posted: 29 Sep 19, 11:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If all people are gonna do is slag the collaboration, what’s even the point in commenting?
Sad really that you feel vexed about it, isn’t there more important things going on in your lives?
Me, I enjoyed it, even if Brian’s mask is kinda creepy...

MercurialFreddie user not visiting Queenzone.com
old fashioned dandy
MercurialFreddie
Royalty: 1081 posts

Posted: 29 Sep 19, 12:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bo Rhap guitar mistake, after the rock section was totally unexpected for me.
What's more vocally-wise it was not Adam's best performance.
Connection with the crowd was not that good....

Sealion user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 488 posts

Posted: 29 Sep 19, 12:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I really enjoyed that performance! It was great to watch them again. I don’t think, it was their best performance, but Festival performances usually aren’t. Still, they managed to show, that they are miles ahead all the other acts. They rocked!

Did you notice the crowd? They had a great time, singing along. It was probably the youngest crowd Q+AL ever had. These young people experienced the magic of Queen and they will never forget that.

Posted: 29 Sep 19, 12:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They were the only act apart from Pharrell who got the crowd going

Vocal harmony user not visiting Queenzone.com
Vocal harmony
Deity: 2784 posts

Posted: 29 Sep 19, 12:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

runner_70 wrote:

Freddie surely changed some songs but it was always true to the original version. What Lamefart does is just adding completely new melodies and squeals in that do not fit a bit

For someone who hates what the band do, hates Brian and Roger for playing like they do, hates the setlists, hates the choice of singer and the singer himself and hates the people who enjoy this collaboration you spend a lot if time watching and listening and commenting on everything they do.

Rockchic's post proves what any person with any musical knowledge, or just an ear, knows. Any artist will interpret any work in their own way. You go on about over singing, showing off and supposedly singing off time. . . Well it's all on display in that clip especially if you have the mind to think like that and be a tin pot critic.

Posted: 29 Sep 19, 12:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

^^^^^^ agreed

GonnaUseMyPrisoners user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 762 posts

Posted: 29 Sep 19, 13:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sealion wrote:

I really enjoyed that performance! It was great to watch them again. I don’t think, it was their best performance, but Festival performances usually aren’t. Still, they managed to show, that they are miles ahead all the other acts. They rocked!

Did you notice the crowd? They had a great time, singing along. It was probably the youngest crowd Q+AL ever had. These young people experienced the magic of Queen and they will never forget that.

Yeah, and impressive to me that they are reaching such a young audience (perhaps in the wake of the movie). Nonetheless, they were singing along etc..... good to see!

...gonna use my prisoners, gonna give 'em the business...
cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3735 posts

Posted: 29 Sep 19, 13:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Runner 70 says above that Paul Rodgers didn’t change the melodies?!! That’s absolutely one of the main things he did, and it got worse as time went on...he would change lines to sit a few beats ahead or behind the ‘correct’ timing all the time, often throwing Brian or Roger; this isn’t a comment either way on his vocal abilities, but to claim he didn’t change melodies is just factually wrong - he did so far more than Adam, who tends to ‘flourish’ but keep to the main vocal tune that people are familiar with.

snifflese user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1219 posts

Posted: 29 Sep 19, 14:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There were many, many technical issues that got Brian quite frustrated and Adam and the others couldn't hear themselves through their ear monitors which makes harmonizing and synchronizing quite difficult. Their stage is multifaceted and normally their set up crew and sound guys are top notch. These people not so much and having things off makes it difficult to perform. After IWIA things seemed to straighten out and got much more normal. You have to go with what you are dealt with.

Why wouldn't they want a QAL spectacle now, Icy? That is who they are in 2019 and that is who they are representing. You say the weirdest things sometimes. No artist goes on stage not wanting to have a spectacular night. They want to put their best foot forward and do what they do in the best possible way. Of course, this was to emphasize QAL. Although everything through next summer is already sold out, so some people, other than a few of you one here, absolutely love QAL!!!

Posted: 29 Sep 19, 15:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

snifflese wrote:

There were many, many technical issues that got Brian quite frustrated and Adam and the others couldn't hear themselves through their ear monitors which makes harmonizing and synchronizing quite difficult. Their stage is multifaceted and normally their set up crew and sound guys are top notch. These people not so much and having things off makes it difficult to perform. After IWIA things seemed to straighten out and got much more normal. You have to go with what you are dealt with.

Why wouldn't they want a QAL spectacle now, Icy? That is who they are in 2019 and that is who they are representing. You say the weirdest things sometimes. No artist goes on stage not wanting to have a spectacular night. They want to put their best foot forward and do what they do in the best possible way. Of course, this was to emphasize QAL. Although everything through next summer is already sold out, so some people, other than a few of you one here, absolutely love QAL!!!

The Euro tour is far from sold out. Due to the ticket prices and due to the fact that pple are sick of Lamebird and the same tired show over and over again

Posted: 29 Sep 19, 15:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That is not what I have read, so don't believe you!

Posted: 29 Sep 19, 15:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That is not what I have read, so don't believe you! You live in your own little world that has absolutely nothing to do with the reality of things. I would be really worried if I were you. That is what happens when all you do is hate on things.