Forums > Queen + Adam Lambert > lip syncing?

forum rss feed
Author

Sealion user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 488 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Oct 19, 12:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Iron Butterfly wrote:

It looks like lip syncing to me.
SweetCaroline, same video has been posted on QOL, so you don't need to pretend you can't watch it.

All that was discussed on QOL (and here) about 2 weeks ago. You even took part in that discussion on QOL. Some members there explained, what happened. More than once. The case was settled.

So I find it very dishonest and hypocritical, that you go on about lip syncing, while you know better.

This discussion here doesn’t show Queen fans in any good light. Some of you might think, it’s fun to criticize QAL. But you’re forgetting at times, that things like this discussion here make Queen look bad as well.

Don’t get me wrong: this thread itself would have been alright after that citizen show. But the ongoing discussion by so called ‚fans‘, who DO know better by know - but act as if they had no clue - is embarrassing for every true Queen fan.

GreatKingSam user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 679 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 19, 13:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wait. The people in here saying that they were lip syncing were or weren't joking?

It's obviously a massive sync issue with the video... like, we all know that, right?

matt z user not visiting Queenzone.com
this message is...
matt z
Deity: 4482 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 19, 13:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just to point. It was in sync for most of the song.. now whether it's a security tape or it was a dupe for Adam to mime to to give himself a rest, for the (entire?) song, i wouldn't know.

Would require further scrutiny than my life is able to give at the moment (i.e. tracking down prior performances and testing wavelengths)

But like i said maybe they mimed some of this as it was a shared bill.

(*a point lost on the retort of the Glambertstein monster here)

I'm just shocked that this revealed they have a track and may be using em.

You DO realize that live "performance" I'm the pop (not Rock) world often utilizes stuff like this which can be conveyed rather sophisticatedsophisticatedly with vocal triggers. I.e. it's no longer simply played back but the performer can dip out if there's no input from their own voice at the time.

It's a cheat and is being utilized all over. ..even making it's way into rock acts.

It's just shocking this happened at all. I hadn't bothered to look back at it when this all came out because it's kind of a boring gig.

Seems the band thought so as well.

KISS is currently ripping off bands by doing nearly their entire act with tracks (excuses given to coordinating time sync with the visuals aren't forgiven - there have been multiple comparisons from show to show indicating they're donning the gear and walking onstage but hardly performing)

"Come tonight! Come see the Overbite! Come to Ogre Battle, FIGHT!"

GreatKingSam user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 679 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 19, 13:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This video is quite clearly a syncing issue at source. It's fine for most of it, and quite clearly live, and then something happens with the encoding or whatever, and audio and video quite clearly go out of sync, to the point where parts of the video are speeding up and slowing down.

Why is this even a discussion, am I missing something?

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 5763 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 19, 16:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What do you mean "at source?"

"Queen is the only band in the world that can play so heavily that your nose bleeds, then offer a silk handkerchief to clean up with."
Sealion user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 488 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 19, 17:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For those, who still don’t know, what happened, I‘ll copy the explanations by two members on QOL:

QUOTE 1
Here is my explanation of what happened during „Don’t stop me now“:

Everything runs smoothly until they get to the „Don‘t stop me, don’t stop me, don’t stop me, hey, hey“ part. On both, the Tv/online stream and on that above video from the audience.

At that point the screen behind them starts to change from the red curtains to a video. That video must be cued to that point in the song. Therefore you need a record. A computer system (or here maybe a technician?) starts the video, when the band is at that point in the song. So this background video was created based on a record of the song.

Normally you don’t hear its sound, because that’s muted. But for some reason, it isn’t this time. The live audience got to hear it. Unlike the pictures on TV, that video above isn’t in sync with the sound, from the moment the background video starts. There is a noticeable little jump in the sound at that point and from there to the end of that song the audience was listening to a record. The sound comes before the band plays. It looks like very bad playback.

The TV/stream and the band still got the live feed with a hint of the record in the background. Therefore Brian and Adam were noticeably a bit confused. Who wouldn’t?

Quote 2:
As xxx has pointed out, this part of the song cues the video screen footage, which is started too early. Error #1.
The backing tape, synced to the footage, has not been muted, so comes through the PA, and the live broadcast feed. Error #2.

Two overlapping errors. Even if the video had started at the right time, the tape would still have been audible over the live performance. That it started early just compounded the problem.

As for the why, it's common practice for lighting and video engineers to use pre-recorded "live" backing tracks to rehearse light and VT cues. It means the band do not have to be constantly on stage for technical rehearsals. In the Genesis documentary "Come Rain or Shine", pre-tour they have huge problems getting the VT timing right for the song "Domino". There are numerous scenes of the techies trying to get the cues right, the band also sitting at the desk with them, while a pre-recorded live rehearsal is played back over the PA.

In this case, the audio was also somehow slaved to the video. Maybe simply for rehearsal purposes so the band could see how it looked without having to play at the same time.

Iron Butterfly user not visiting Queenzone.com
Iron Butterfly
Deity: 4214 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 19, 18:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sealion wrote:

Iron Butterfly wrote:

It looks like lip syncing to me.
SweetCaroline, same video has been posted on QOL, so you don't need to pretend you can't watch it.

All that was discussed on QOL (and here) about 2 weeks ago. You even took part in that discussion on QOL. Some members there explained, what happened. More than once. The case was settled.

So I find it very dishonest and hypocritical, that you go on about lip syncing, while you know better.

This discussion here doesn’t show Queen fans in any good light. Some of you might think, it’s fun to criticize QAL. But you’re forgetting at times, that things like this discussion here make Queen look bad as well.

Don’t get me wrong: this thread itself would have been alright after that citizen show. But the ongoing discussion by so called ‚fans‘, who DO know better by know - but act as if they had no clue - is embarrassing for every true Queen fan.

I didn't see this particular video until yesterday. Call me dishonest and hypocritical. I can discuss this here and there, I'm hardly the first person who has ever discussed things from both boards.
Some people can't admit that something wasn't perfect in Q+AL land can they. Something went wrong here, and judging by this video it does look like lip syncing.

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 15 Oct 19, 18:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

snifflese wrote:

Icy, no fans of Adam and QAL are saying the performance was perfect or any such nonsense. There were issues and personally, I think it had to do with the sound people. I have also seen them live 3 times and there was no lip synching. You can hear when Adam cracks up laughing or makes a remark or Brian snaps a string. No one says they are perfect all the time. That is in your mind as you are always so busy trying to find something wrong with them and their performances. Other people can hear a blooper or some mistake and still say it was magical and perfect. Other people can overlook a tiny little flaw in a great big show where everything was as wonderful as it could be and still say ,"Oh it was "perfect". Your standards are way too high. That is why you can't enjoy anything because nothing is ever perfect.

Erm, your buddy SweetCaroline has said AL and Q+AL is always perfect. She's the one with the high standards, come on say Freddie messed up again if you think it makes all look better. Which is doesn't.
I can't enjoy anything you say, honey there is a lot of music I enjoy. You'd know that if you read my posts for 10 years. You are full of it, it's laughable.
I'm not the one who says everything is perfect, you might want to get your facts straight. The amount of twisting around you try to do, makes you look unhinged.

matt z user not visiting Queenzone.com
this message is...
matt z
Deity: 4482 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 19, 19:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sounds plausible, Sealion...

applause. Sealion. Urrt Urrt!

only thing for certain is that it upset the audience audbly and was playback overriding live play. Roger had a "what the fuck do I do?? moment" when the drums went out of sync...

Poor guys probably thought they'd taken too much medication/"medication"

and it's true we all know Lambert doesn't need assistance (yet) with playback, his voice is naturally that high and pitchy.. used to only be the short guys (BOSTON) that could pull things like that off naturally. Video sync playback? Wouldn't that be time coded? or simply cued? Maybe it makes sense in case the rhythm is labored on any different night.

Either way, sounded like a mess.. Wonder why they haven't addressed it.

"Come tonight! Come see the Overbite! Come to Ogre Battle, FIGHT!"

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 15 Oct 19, 19:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

matt z wrote:

Sounds plausible, Sealion...

applause. Sealion. Urrt Urrt!

only thing for certain is that it upset the audience audbly and was playback overriding live play. Roger had a "what the fuck do I do?? moment" when the drums went out of sync...

Poor guys probably thought they'd taken too much medication/"medication"

and it's true we all know Lambert doesn't need assistance (yet) with playback, his voice is naturally that high and pitchy.. used to only be the short guys (BOSTON) that could pull things like that off naturally. Video sync playback? Wouldn't that be time coded? or simply cued? Maybe it makes sense in case the rhythm is labored on any different night.

Either way, sounded like a mess.. Wonder why they haven't addressed it.

Could they be embarrassed? AL has been laying low, because he was unwell and had to cancel network TV appearances and an Iheart performance. It's unlike him to be so quiet.
I wish the guys would explain, but my take on it is that they'd rather brush it under the rug.
I'd expect something like this to happen in the early Q+AL days, but this far in, and for a big time event...yikes, it was a mess. Not their best at all.

rockchic65 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2096 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 19, 21:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Anyone who thinks Adam would lip sync knows nothing about the guy, he performed when he had severe bronchitis on the 2015 Queen tour and had to cancel the next show, would just have lip synced and saved himself the aggro if he ever did that. You can clearly see on one Youtube vid (can't just find it at the moment) that he lifts the wrong hand to sing into (no mic) and there's no sound. How many times has he sang the wrong lyrics (great singer, remembering lyrics not his strong suit), and how many versions of the songs does he sing on tour, they all sound slightly different, a high note here one night and in a different place the next, he'd have to have 20 different tracks to mime to and remember which was which.

It's very obvious when he uses a backing track in his solo tour and sings over it as he does for some songs, you can't mistake it for all live and there's no way he'd get away with it sounding live if he did that with Queen so the idea they use tracks or lip sync is ludicrous. There was clearly either a sync issue or someone activated a track they shouldn't have and threw them off for a few seconds. The official stream wasn't that out of sync either and people who saw it live have explained what happened.

Posted: 15 Oct 19, 21:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Iron Butterfly wrote:

Could they be embarrassed? AL has been laying low, because he was unwell and had to cancel network TV appearances and an Iheart performance. It's unlike him to be so quiet.
I wish the guys would explain, but my take on it is that they'd rather brush it under the rug.
I'd expect something like this to happen in the early Q+AL days, but this far in, and for a big time event...yikes, it was a mess. Not their best at all.

Why would they explain something that was simply some kind of sound, sync error or similar? To my knowledge they've never gone public to explain any mistakes in the past so why would they now and it was far from a mess, that was one song and they got rave reviews in the media and from fans at the show for the entire concert, one small sync mistake in an hour concert could hardly be considered to have spoiled the whole thing, it's live, shit happens.

Posted: 15 Oct 19, 21:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

matt z wrote:

Just to point. It was in sync for most of the song.. now whether it's a security tape or it was a dupe for Adam to mime to to give himself a rest, for the (entire?) song, i wouldn't know.

Would require further scrutiny than my life is able to give at the moment (i.e. tracking down prior performances and testing wavelengths)

But like i said maybe they mimed some of this as it was a shared bill.

(*a point lost on the retort of the Glambertstein monster here)

I'm just shocked that this revealed they have a track and may be using em.

You DO realize that live "performance" I'm the pop (not Rock) world often utilizes stuff like this which can be conveyed rather sophisticatedsophisticatedly with vocal triggers. I.e. it's no longer simply played back but the performer can dip out if there's no input from their own voice at the time.

It's a cheat and is being utilized all over. ..even making it's way into rock acts.

It's just shocking this happened at all. I hadn't bothered to look back at it when this all came out because it's kind of a boring gig.

Seems the band thought so as well.

KISS is currently ripping off bands by doing nearly their entire act with tracks (excuses given to coordinating time sync with the visuals aren't forgiven - there have been multiple comparisons from show to show indicating they're donning the gear and walking onstage but hardly performing)

There's no way they are using tracks they aren't that stupid and would have been found out long since if that was the case.

SweetCaroline user not visiting Queenzone.com
SweetCaroline
Deity: 4349 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 19, 22:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yup, they are professional. So they just carried on as if nothing happened. Imagine that? They didn’t cuss, cry or start over!

“Carry on, carry on as if nothing ever happened. Nothing really matters. Any way the wind blows!”

ACCR user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 83 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 19, 22:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The concert was completely genuine!! It's a live event! And the best performance in US that I ever seen!! (I attended more than 10 concerts in different cities)

SweetCaroline user not visiting Queenzone.com
SweetCaroline
Deity: 4349 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 19, 22:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ACCR, you better believe it. I only saw one but it was golden! 10 cities! Did you hitch a ride on that QAL private plane?

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 15 Oct 19, 22:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SweetCaroline wrote:

Yup, they are professional. So they just carried on as if nothing happened. Imagine that? They didn’t cuss, cry or start over!

“Carry on, carry on as if nothing ever happened. Nothing really matters. Any way the wind blows!”

Imagine you with your head so far up AL's ass that you can't tell when things go wrong...Oh wait.

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 15 Oct 19, 22:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

rockchic65 wrote:

Iron Butterfly wrote:

Why would they explain something that was simply some kind of sound, sync error or similar? To my knowledge they've never gone public to explain any mistakes in the past so why would they now and it was far from a mess, that was one song and they got rave reviews in the media and from fans at the show for the entire concert, one small sync mistake in an hour concert could hardly be considered to have spoiled the whole thing, it's live, shit happens.

Because some of us picked up on some thing/s not being right with performance.
At least you admit shit happens. I really don't think this was their best performance by a long shot.

Iron Butterfly

Posted: 15 Oct 19, 22:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SweetCaroline wrote:

ACCR, you better believe it. I only saw one but it was golden! 10 cities! Did you hitch a ride on that QAL private plane?

What, you no longer track flights? I bet you wish you were the one to hitch a ride on their private plane, so you could mother AL and complain to Brian when threads are locked on Queen boards.

snifflese user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1220 posts

Posted: 16 Oct 19, 01:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

But who cares if there was a little glitch? Wow, aren't you special because you saw something wasn't right with the performance. It was one song and then they carried on as all great performers do. I remember when Adam singing a line wrong in BR was a big deal for you and worth talking about for the next year. No one is perfect and most people can ignore a tiny slip up and still say, wasn't that great? I don't think it ruined anybody else's enjoyment of the performance, as people seemed to be loving it on TV. Small wonder that the real Queen fans can make such a mountain out of a molehill. Unbelievable. I hope you are that perfect and picky in your own life. You must be a real joy to live with is all I can say.