Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > A hilarious/annoying article about the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert

forum rss feed
Author

Graeme Arnott user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 137 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Oct 19, 15:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Having been there I can say it was a great gig.

runner_70 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2752 posts

Posted: 19 Oct 19, 15:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Miklos wrote:

lets be honest, the tribute concert was embarassing at many many places, and not only Spinal Tap.

examples?

matt z user not visiting Queenzone.com
this message is...
matt z
Deity: 4482 posts

Posted: 19 Oct 19, 15:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wasn't EMBARRASSING (*i still haven't seen the ENTIRE gig as I've never torrented )

But some notable low points =

Paul Young
Zucchero (*he's not bad at all but it's a strange mashup)
Axl sounds great but Elton? *(trash. ..feel free to disagree)
Robert Plant forgot everything

Def Leppard (the band that modeled their name upon a cheap syllabic relation to Led Zeppelin, presumably because they thought Led Zeppelin didn't mean anything) - ABSOLUTE SUCK

Bob Geldof - (as always) ABSOLUTE SUCK

Seal - showed ALL his limitations

But aside from that it's not an embarrassment. They were popular icons and performers, and the day served as a launching campaignfor the Mercury Phoenix Trust. It's a good thing.

"Come tonight! Come see the Overbite! Come to Ogre Battle, FIGHT!"

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10806 posts

Posted: 19 Oct 19, 20:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

john bodega wrote:

"Nowadays the only place to see those kinds of jokes are whiny Star Wars reviews on YouTube"

Ahhh I'm fucking glad every time I see someone refer to this phenomenon.

Always boggles my mind that these neckbeardy milktits abominations somehow think they've cracked the code on movies and can shit on the new ones, but still think those prequels were alright.

Ungrateful slobs.

Oh come on, Zebonka, that's not nice to talk like that about Jeremy. Let's face it - the Disney Star Wars movies make the prequels look like brilliant masterpieces.

pittrek

Posted: 19 Oct 19, 20:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

kosimodo wrote:

And.. at #220: https://www.vulture.com/2018/05/rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-artists-ranked-from-best-to-worst.html

The man is nuts :)

2nd worst... of all. Poor Bon Jobi.

Well, he has "interesting" taste.Chuck Berry #1? James Brown #5? Prince #6? Otis Redding? Had to google who that was. Queen 220? I originally thought that his Tribute concert review was attempt at being funny, but now I feel like he has some really weird musical taste.

pittrek

Posted: 19 Oct 19, 20:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Miklos wrote:

lets be honest, the tribute concert was embarassing at many many places, and not only Spinal Tap.

I don't know, some performances were "far from perfect" but I wouldn't use the word embarrassing

pittrek

Posted: 19 Oct 19, 20:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

matt z wrote:

Wasn't EMBARRASSING (*i still haven't seen the ENTIRE gig as I've never torrented )

Paul Young

Def Leppard (the band that modeled their name upon a cheap syllabic relation to Led Zeppelin, presumably because they thought Led Zeppelin didn't mean anything) - ABSOLUTE SUCK

But aside from that it's not an embarrassment. They were popular icons and performers, and the day served as a launching campaignfor the Mercury Phoenix Trust. It's a good thing.

Paul Young and Zucchero were boring, just like that "alleged sexual battery guy (edited for fairness)". Plant looked like he's high and that his brain switched off as soon as the band started to play.I thought that Elton was one of the highlights of the show. Geldolf was fine, I don't get why so many people hate him. Def Leppard - huge respect for the one-armed drummer, but I was never a huge fan of theirs, they're the most 80's sounding band ever, and that's not a compliment.

this message is...
matt z

Posted: 19 Oct 19, 20:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Rapist guy"?

pittrek

Posted: 19 Oct 19, 20:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

OK, sorry, "alleged sexual battery" guy.

Theaterpup user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 11 posts

Posted: 19 Oct 19, 21:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@pittrek I’m not a fan of Disney Star Wars but there’s a lot of rewriting of history lately when it comes to the prequels. ;)

this message is...
matt z

Posted: 19 Oct 19, 21:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

^they both were bad. But i agree like he said. The Disney films make the prequels look a WHOLE lot better.

Absolute Shite (*aside from the novelty of throwback IMAGERY, and props)

k-m user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 668 posts

Posted: 19 Oct 19, 23:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Very interesting review. Wyman is clearly not a fan, but he made a lot of good points, especially regarding the "soon to be has-beens". I also scanned through his list of Hall of Fame inductees from best to worst and could see some spot-on observations there too, e.g. re the RHCP or Aerosmith. I certainly wouldn't be able to listen to many of his top-listed picks and he does come across like one of these music journalists up their arse, but I wouldn't say he's a complete idiot. Very harsh on Queen, obviously, but hey - not everyone has to get them. He also quoted the lyrics to "Who Needs You" as particularly atrocious, but quite frankly I can't see anything wrong with them.

Iron Butterfly user not visiting Queenzone.com
Iron Butterfly
Deity: 4187 posts

Posted: 19 Oct 19, 23:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

matt z wrote:

Paul Young

Elton John trash...I'm offended, and insulted by that statement!!! How dare you...you have hurt me deeply on his and Freddie’s behalf.

^^I'm kidding.
He wasn't the best on the day, even I admit that. I also admit I liked what he did.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 20991 posts

Posted: 20 Oct 19, 04:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Disgusting it may be, but articles like this highlight how completely uncool it was to like Queen in North America in the early 90s. I lived through it - it was awful.

Artists must pass on, but sometimes a mix of passion, good fortune, diligence, expertise, and meticulous labor can capture and restore some of the beauty they left behind.

http://www.queenlive.ca
dysan user not visiting Queenzone.com
dysan
Deity: 5639 posts

Posted: 20 Oct 19, 07:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I can almost guarantee the same writer will be raving about Queen and Bowie now saying he always flew the flag.

stevelondon20 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1623 posts

Posted: 20 Oct 19, 07:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

matt z wrote:

Paul Young

Paul Young's voice went years ago after his nodule op.

Fan76 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 16 posts

Posted: 20 Oct 19, 08:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pure Bullshit. I know such music critics, which critisize everything about music, which is heard by more than 2 people. When you ask them, which music they prefer themself, you will hear names of groups, which will be unknown to everyone and that's for a good reason. As Freddie said himself I will be a legend, which is totally true. I'm sure, there will be some people in 50 years still listening to Queen songs, when the critics writer name is long forgotten together with his awful taste.

dysan

Posted: 20 Oct 19, 09:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm sure that's true, but also I'm not sure the writer said 'I'm going to be a legend!' as he took the job at the Chicago Shopper.

AlbaNo1 user not visiting Queenzone.com
AlbaNo1
Bohemian: 412 posts

Posted: 20 Oct 19, 09:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There was always a lot of pure hate for Queen from critics and this is an unpleasant reminder of it. It’s only recently that Queen seem to have passed to untouchable legend status, which is where they should be.

dysan

Posted: 20 Oct 19, 09:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

BW: Queen doesn’t have to worry about me. A lot of people say they’re great, they got to be on American Idol, their life is good.

This is interesting. The interviewer pursues the topic of Queen with the writer:

http://rockcritics.com/2018/11/09/rock-critic-bill-wyman-in-conversation-with-chris-buck/