Forums > Queen + Adam Lambert > Maylor are not money hungry???

forum rss feed
Author

Vocal harmony user not visiting Queenzone.com
Vocal harmony
Deity: 2991 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 Jan 20, 15:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

philip storey wrote:

Cheers MMRunner ,its about time these deluded Q&AL fan's were told the truth.I remember being a 11year old boy ,playing Queen 1 non stop and being so proud to being a Queen fan.When I was old enough I remember going to the NEC and seeing them live ,god it was the most awesome thing I had ever seen.10,000 fans standing which was a record at the time for a standing indoor concert.My friends all know that I am a Queen fan and often ask who is the singer when I mention AL they look blank and ask who he is.There is so much Brian and Roger could have done after Freddie's passing,working on the music they had already made,giving us a album with the two of them doing it under their own names,not a Queen album.Solo work,albums,small tours but not using the Queen name.Some great Box sets and of course the Anthology which we would all like if it was done well.I fear that things are not going to change as Maylor are money mad and blindly think that AL is fantastic,the Queen legacy is being dragged through the gutter and it hurts like hell.

Hate to say it but this view is so deluded it could have been posted by Gerry.

Relesing box sets could also be seen as a money crab, that was your view of NOTW box wasn't it?

Like any major act they are tied to a record company who want to make what they can out of an artist, like it or not it's an industry that goes beyond the art of making music. Go to any gig of any size by anyone and there'll be a merchbstand selling vastly inflated T shirts, Hoodies, Beanie hats, drum sticks, programs, cd's cups etc etc, the list goes on ano on. It's how it is. You don't have to buy into any of it. . . It's not just this band.

So what they haven't recorded an album, I can guaranty if they did and they played half a dozen new songs people would be shouting about the lack of old hits. Fleetwood Mac haven't released anything for years, but they still tour , Same as King Crimson and others. So what, people enjoy going.

Your experience of going to see Q+AL was not good, you didn't like the venue, the show the transport. . . If everyone had that view they'd be playing to empty venues.

They play to huge numbers of old fans as well as new ones and Adam Lambert fans, so what. People enjoy the gigs. The amount of moaning about them does nothing, you achieve nothing by it. You certainly don't stop people going and your criticism of what they do was loud and clear after the gig you went too.

Man from Zanzibar user not visiting Queenzone.com
Man from Zanzibar
Champion: 85 posts

Posted: 22 Jan 20, 17:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Meh, who cares. They are milking money off the sheep willing to spend top dollar on the BS merch and stuff like that. Don't waste your money.

I'd much prefer them releasing the juicy material from the Queen Vault, while working on their solo projects or Brian+Roger collab thing ("SMILE"). But it seems that the creative spirit left them when Freddie passed away and John later retired (sadly, looks like The Cosmos Rocks was their last breath). Yes they didn't want to be another "Journey" and play with a soundalike, but at least Journey put out several albums with new music since Steve Perry left.

At least half the people if not more go to QAL concerts just to see May and Taylor again. Yes, the average Joe the Ignorant just wants top 10 hits and a can of cold beer, but the real fans would much rather pay good money to see them play the deep cuts of Queen and / or their solo stuff combined. But that will NEVER happen, Maylor's gonna collect their paper and retire first. End of story.

Young Music Fan user not visiting Queenzone.com
Young Music Fan
Bohemian: 643 posts

Posted: 22 Jan 20, 17:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Vocal harmony wrote:

Hate to say it but this view is so deluded it could have been posted by Gerry.

Relesing box sets could also be seen as a money crab, that was your view of NOTW box wasn't it?

Like any major act they are tied to a record company who want to make what they can out of an artist, like it or not it's an industry that goes beyond the art of making music. Go to any gig of any size by anyone and there'll be a merchbstand selling vastly inflated T shirts, Hoodies, Beanie hats, drum sticks, programs, cd's cups etc etc, the list goes on ano on. It's how it is. You don't have to buy into any of it. . . It's not just this band.

So what they haven't recorded an album, I can guaranty if they did and they played half a dozen new songs people would be shouting about the lack of old hits. Fleetwood Mac haven't released anything for years, but they still tour , Same as King Crimson and others. So what, people enjoy going.

Your experience of going to see Q+AL was not good, you didn't like the venue, the show the transport. . . If everyone had that view they'd be playing to empty venues.

They play to huge numbers of old fans as well as new ones and Adam Lambert fans, so what. People enjoy the gigs. The amount of moaning about them does nothing, you achieve nothing by it. You certainly don't stop people going and your criticism of what they do was loud and clear after the gig you went too.

Great post as it sort of concludes this matter.

Every fan can do what they want. So, if a fan disagrees with something and they're not in the minority then they shouldn't criticise other fans who are agree with something in the majority.

runner_70 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3476 posts

Posted: 22 Jan 20, 20:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

With the difference that the "majority" is delusional rubbish by those annoying Glamtarts

Posted: 22 Jan 20, 20:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Man from Zanzibar wrote:

Meh, who cares. They are milking money off the sheep willing to spend top dollar on the BS merch and stuff like that. Don't waste your money.

I'd much prefer them releasing the juicy material from the Queen Vault, while working on their solo projects or Brian+Roger collab thing ("SMILE"). But it seems that the creative spirit left them when Freddie passed away and John later retired (sadly, looks like The Cosmos Rocks was their last breath). Yes they didn't want to be another "Journey" and play with a soundalike, but at least Journey put out several albums with new music since Steve Perry left.

At least half the people if not more go to QAL concerts just to see May and Taylor again. Yes, the average Joe the Ignorant just wants top 10 hits and a can of cold beer, but the real fans would much rather pay good money to see them play the deep cuts of Queen and / or their solo stuff combined. But that will NEVER happen, Maylor's gonna collect their paper and retire first. End of story.

Well said! The Glamtarts will disagree, I would say 90% go because of Maylor and the QUeen songs. I have never ever heard or read someone who says "Who are May and Taylor? I pay my 350 Euro for a nosebleed for Lamebird" - also FACT

flash00. user not visiting Queenzone.com
flash00.
Royalty: 1565 posts

Posted: 22 Jan 20, 20:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ah the old Queen tat some is absolute hilarious but I agree it's all over priced rubbish I remember that shocking rip-off teapot, Maylor must be pissing themselves laughing when they look at that crap. All the music is cheaper on Amazon anyway, I never go on Queen online or their kerching store.

I have nothing against Al whatsoever except he's a drag queen fronting a rock band and the more famous he gets the worse he gets with it, he looked ridiculous in those big Elvis/Elton goggles at the press conference, most puzzling.

The movie looked low budget for such a huge legendary band, also the weird Freddie being sacked and begging for his job back, which never happened, who's idea was that. I have a feeling they are close to not touring again, I could be wrong.

oo la la

Posted: 22 Jan 20, 20:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

flash00. wrote:

Ah the old Queen tat some is absolute hilarious but I agree it's all over priced rubbish I remember that shocking rip-off teapot, Maylor must be pissing themselves laughing when they look at that crap. All the music is cheaper on Amazon anyway, I never go on Queen online or their kerching store.

I have nothing against Al whatsoever except he's a drag queen fronting a rock band and the more famous he gets the worse he gets with it, he looked ridiculous in those big Elvis/Elton goggles at the press conference, most puzzling.

The movie looked low budget for such a huge legendary band, also the weird Freddie being sacked and begging for his job back, which never happened, who's idea was that. I have a feeling they are close to not touring again, I could be wrong.

kudos for your posting. Voice of Reason. Be prepared to be flamed by Glamberts

Young Music Fan user not visiting Queenzone.com
Young Music Fan
Bohemian: 643 posts

Posted: 22 Jan 20, 21:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

With regards to the movie isn't obvious that Brian and Roger said they only gave approval of the movie because they were worried that if they hadn't then other people would've done it without their say what so ever. Just imagine if they made a movie than just concentrated on the negativity of the band, that won't've been good from any prospective. Both Brian and Roger have said that they didn't have as much control over the movie they would've liked - it was down to the production companies. Several interviews prove this and their only credits was as executive music producers.

Majority means to the millions of people who have been to see them live and have been hugely satisfied by the experience. I know not everyone likes AL but haters please don't make it out like every Queen fan hates him because it can be proven otherwise - personal opinions like this and pretending that it's the general view is incredibly selfish IMO. In terms of money, Q+AL don't make a fortune from touring as claimed by haters - a coincidence? As we should all know, Q+AL played their biggest American tour last year and yet didn't make the top grossing tours list (source: https://www.kerrang.com/the-news/metallica-and-kiss-amongst-the-highest-grossing-tours-of-2019/). Why? It's because they simply don't sell tickets as high as others. With this means they also don't make as profit per show as some artists due to their expensive stage equipment, extravagant design and large crew. It's been a well-known fact by Queen themselves that non of their tours until the Magic '86 made any money due to the amount they were putting in. It's different now as you have to make money as touring is the main income for artists now due to technology advances.

I just hate it when fans say a personal dislike and make it look like it's the general opinion by everyone.

At the end of the day if you love Queen but are a constant moaner at everything they do, remember you're a fan (maybe because of their music, their talents etc.) and stop bickering at them because it won't make any difference and it also shows signs that you are not a 100% devoted fan.

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 5922 posts

Posted: 22 Jan 20, 22:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For any Queen movie to be made Brian, Roger and John would have to give permission for their music to be included. So they essentially had a veto over that. Without Queen music there would be no Queen movie.

Queen CLAIMED they never made a profit on touring. That doesn't mean it's true. There are all sorts of ways accountants can show no profit, while their clients coin it in. The band's comments were directed as much at the taxman as they were fans.

Don't believe everything you read.

ps I've been to 2 Queen concerts, one Brian May solo concert, and one Q+PR concert. I've been buying Queen stuff since 1981. But I'm no longer a 100% devoted fan. You're young. I understand. You'll understand too after being a fan for a long time.

"Queen is the only band in the world that can play so heavily that your nose bleeds, then offer a silk handkerchief to clean up with."
princetom user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 824 posts

Posted: 22 Jan 20, 22:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

don't give a shit on what has posted before.
yes. they are hungry for money. a FM would be, too. that what's it about, isn't it.
a shame they're haven't some couple of new songs. it is what it is. sadly.
as long as i have had seen them in ... about 2016--17--18 ( = ?) on what they're doing.
it's alright.
would i have the chains to offer them more money. not it there would not be a "deep-cuts"-tour.
so. WTF ? they enjoy what they're doing. god bless.
hasn't to be one cup's of tea.

prince[tOM]
princetom user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 824 posts

Posted: 22 Jan 20, 22:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

not my mother-tongue. sry for typos !

prince[tOM]
PrimeJiveUSA user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 713 posts

Posted: 22 Jan 20, 23:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Gen Z Music Fan wrote:

With regards to the movie isn't obvious that Brian and Roger said they only gave approval of the movie because they were worried that if they hadn't then other people would've done it without their say what so ever. Just imagine if they made a movie than just concentrated on the negativity of the band, that won't've been good from any prospective. Both Brian and Roger have said that they didn't have as much control over the movie they would've liked - it was down to the production companies. Several interviews prove this and their only credits was as executive music producers.

Majority means to the millions of people who have been to see them live and have been hugely satisfied by the experience. I know not everyone likes AL but haters please don't make it out like every Queen fan hates him because it can be proven otherwise - personal opinions like this and pretending that it's the general view is incredibly selfish IMO. In terms of money, Q+AL don't make a fortune from touring as claimed by haters - a coincidence? As we should all know, Q+AL played their biggest American tour last year and yet didn't make the top grossing tours list (source: https://www.kerrang.com/the-news/metallica-and-kiss-amongst-the-highest-grossing-tours-of-2019/). Why? It's because they simply don't sell tickets as high as others. With this means they also don't make as profit per show as some artists due to their expensive stage equipment, extravagant design and large crew. It's been a well-known fact by Queen themselves that non of their tours until the Magic '86 made any money due to the amount they were putting in. It's different now as you have to make money as touring is the main income for artists now due to technology advances.

I just hate it when fans say a personal dislike and make it look like it's the general opinion by everyone.

At the end of the day if you love Queen but are a constant moaner at everything they do, remember you're a fan (maybe because of their music, their talents etc.) and stop bickering at them because it won't make any difference and it also shows signs that you are not a 100% devoted fan.

Damn...didnt even make the top 20! Beaten by Hugh Jackman even.

I guess there aren't as many crown jewels to rob from the "grave" as was thought.

It's further proof that "Queen" is still not, nor has ever been, a top-tier draw in the States unfortunately. Still second-tier even after the success of the film.

Posted: 22 Jan 20, 23:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Holly2003 wrote:

For any Queen movie to be made Brian, Roger and John would have to give permission for their music to be included. So they essentially had a veto over that. Without Queen music there would be no Queen movie.

Queen CLAIMED they never made a profit on touring. That doesn't mean it's true. There are all sorts of ways accountants can show no profit, while their clients coin it in. The band's comments were directed as much at the taxman as they were fans.

Don't believe everything you read.

ps I've been to 2 Queen concerts, one Brian May solo concert, and one Q+PR concert. I've been buying Queen stuff since 1981. But I'm no longer a 100% devoted fan. You're young. I understand. You'll understand too after being a fan for a long time.

Back when Queen were touring with Freddie it was rare for tours to be profitable...for most artists. Bands like the Stones were an exception and they were able to charge much higher than their peers in the 70's 80's and beyond. Back then, the purpose of the tours was to sell albums. A tour was just as expensive(adjusted for inflation) as it is now but tickets were also MUCH cheaper(even taking inflation into account). I've read many books about the music industry in the 70's and 80's and it was rare for artists to make a profit from concerts...their purpose was PROMOTIONAL as the money was in RECORD SALES back then.

Nowadays the exact opposite is true.

snifflese user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1463 posts

Posted: 23 Jan 20, 01:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So I guess they are not all that greedy when it comes to ticket prices and such!! There appear to be a lot more greedy folks out there! Foiled again, Runner, spouting all that fake news just because you don't like them. You also have to take into account the quality of the concert with all their terrific lights and videos and sound system. Brian said they were using the most advanced light system there was and I believe it, because it was amazing. You don't get a bare bones show like with some artists. You get your money's worth when you see QAL as they do it up to the nines! It is a feast for both the eyes and the ears, truly! I haven't seen anyone complain about ticket prices except on here. Most of the folks feels they got their money's worth and for me, it was more than my money's worth. Their shows are the best I have ever seen in every way.

Posted: 23 Jan 20, 02:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

snifflese wrote:

So I guess they are not all that greedy when it comes to ticket prices and such!! There appear to be a lot more greedy folks out there! Foiled again, Runner, spouting all that fake news just because you don't like them. You also have to take into account the quality of the concert with all their terrific lights and videos and sound system. Brian said they were using the most advanced light system there was and I believe it, because it was amazing. You don't get a bare bones show like with some artists. You get your money's worth when you see QAL as they do it up to the nines! It is a feast for both the eyes and the ears, truly! I haven't seen anyone complain about ticket prices except on here. Most of the folks feels they got their money's worth and for me, it was more than my money's worth. Their shows are the best I have ever seen in every way.

Indeed...they put on one of the most expensive, advanced shows in the business and they aren't even grossing enough to place in the top 20 tours last year!

Not so greedy.

Makka user not visiting Queenzone.com
Makka
Bohemian: 630 posts

Posted: 23 Jan 20, 02:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FFS, they are musicians, playing the music they helped create. Brian & Roger have every right to do what they love whether you, me or whoever disagrees. Musicians play music. They perform. They are lucky they can still do it and pull a crowd at their age. Some people enjoy it, some people don't. It is what it is. They can't do it forever and very soon it will be over.

Iron Butterfly user not visiting Queenzone.com
Iron Butterfly
Deity: 5130 posts

Posted: 23 Jan 20, 03:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The merchandise is so expensive, holy smokes.
What makes me think Brian and Roger are money hungry is the amount of Queen music on TV ads. The Pepsi advert is when they sold out, IMO. To me, that was and remains tacky as hell. One of the worst things they have done since 1991.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 21267 posts

Posted: 23 Jan 20, 03:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Makka wrote:

You do realise these are things they would be approached to do, not something they would instigate? They are in a lucky position to be offered these things. Bands don't make money from music anymore, they make it from touring and from merch so it's another outlet to make money whilst they can. And to be honest, if I was in their shoes I'd be running with the money too. They were part of the musics creation so why not?

Vocal harmony wrote:

Dim wrote:

I don't want to be devil's advocate but record companies are making money from concerts, ridiculously shit products, compilations albums you name it. The artists have been paid in advance and give their approve to whatever....

Read carefully, haters. These posts are written by people who understand how the music business works.

Artists must pass on, but sometimes a mix of passion, good fortune, diligence, expertise, and meticulous labor can capture and restore some of the beauty they left behind.

http://www.queenlive.ca
kevin79 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 63 posts

Posted: 23 Jan 20, 04:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't see them as any more or less money hungry than a lot of other bands, especially legacy acts. Heck, for the anniversary of the White Album one year, The Beatles released an expensive pen to "honor" the occasion. A lot less magical than the remixed album with outtakes in 2018.

Heck, it's not like Queen didn't do stuff that seemed like a cash grab when Freddie was around. I'd imagine if social media had existed in 1984, there would have been plenty of complaining about how they released every song from "The Works" on the singles and they put collectors in the position of having to buy the same single four times to get all of the covers with "I Want to Break Free."

Would I like if they released more archive releases? Absolutely. That's why, when they do, I support them by buying them. But for me, I have no need for limited coins, drum head replicas or the like. So, I save my money and don't buy them.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 21267 posts

Posted: 23 Jan 20, 04:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Gen Z Music Fan wrote:

But alas that's what happens at an unmoderated forum like Queenzone where anyone who understands the music business and/or music history is branded by stepford fan moron types like runner_70 as a "Glamtart."

These trolls in an extreme minority with their shoe sized IQs just keep repeating the same talking points over and over again and throw out insults and ad hominems hoping they will gain some kind of traction, but much to their chagrin the arenas keep selling out. And so they just keep shouting in their little echo chamber, inventing every reason in the world why it's somehow unjust that the founding members of Queen are still doing well, as if the people who spend their money on concerts and merch are being forced to do so at gunpoint. To any rational person it's obviously preposterous.

Artists must pass on, but sometimes a mix of passion, good fortune, diligence, expertise, and meticulous labor can capture and restore some of the beauty they left behind.

http://www.queenlive.ca