Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Album Tracks That Could Have Made Singles

forum rss feed
Author

philip storey user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 711 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Jan 20, 12:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I Have been thinking that some Album tracks could have made some good singles and might have been better choices than some that Queen put out,1]Liar/Great King Rat, 2]Funny How Love Is 3]Tenement Funster 4] Long Away . 5]You And I 6]Who Needs You.7Dead On Time .8]Fun It 9] Rock It .10]Dancer.I'm sure you have your own choices and some of the albums I have not looked at yet.

dave76 user not visiting Queenzone.com
dave76
Bohemian: 859 posts

Posted: 24 Jan 20, 12:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen (Doing All Right), Queen II (Father To Son), Sheer Heart Attack (In The Lap Of The Gods), A Night At The Opera (Sweet Lady), A Day At The Races (You Take My Breath Away), News Of The World (My Melancholy Blues), Jazz (Jealousy), The Game (Sail Away Sweet Sister), Hot Space (Life Is Real), The Works (Keep Passing The Open Windows), A Kind Of Magic (Princess Of The Universe), The Miracle (Was It All Worth It), Innuendo (I Can't Live With You),
Made In Heaven (Mother Love)
Bear in mind that in some parts of the world some titles above were released as singles.
Liar was released as a single in the US but oh my god, what they've done with that... don't get me started.

PrimeJiveUSA user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 713 posts

Posted: 24 Jan 20, 14:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I always thought Ride the Wild Wind was a missed opportunity. I think it would have been big in the U.S..

Also, Who Wants to Live Forever should have been released as the single in America and would have changed the fortunes for AKOM.

KJ user is on Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 187 posts

Posted: 24 Jan 20, 15:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I can't think of any track that should have been a single. But I can think of tracks that were not suited as a single (in my opinion): Long away, it's late, mustapha, jealousy, need your loving tonight, staying power, back chat, one year of love PISCTP.

I think I'll be Clint Eastwood

Jimi Hendrix he was good

Let's try William the Conqueror

Now who else do I like?
Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 5922 posts

Posted: 24 Jan 20, 15:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They should have released "Fat Bottomed Girls" in 1974 instead of waiting until 1978. They were already playing it live and according to the movie it got a good reception.

"Queen is the only band in the world that can play so heavily that your nose bleeds, then offer a silk handkerchief to clean up with."
matt z user not visiting Queenzone.com
this message is...
matt z
Deity: 4650 posts

Posted: 24 Jan 20, 16:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Agree with Dave until ADATR -HS.

Those tracks are def B- Sides

ADATR : You And I, b: Millionaire
NOTW : It's Late/GDML
Jazz: ....none of em that weren't already done
THE GAME: Dragon Attack, b: SASS (just shift it to the b side)

And gotta agree on AKOM singles.... U.S. choices were retarded.

no idea about the commercial appeal of Ride The Wild Wind, but it IS a fantastic driven song

"Come tonight! Come see the Overbite! Come to Ogre Battle, FIGHT!"

Makka user not visiting Queenzone.com
Makka
Bohemian: 630 posts

Posted: 24 Jan 20, 16:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You And I is the main one that comes to mind.

stevelondon20 user is on Queenzone.com

Deity: 2050 posts

Posted: 24 Jan 20, 18:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

PrimeJiveUSA wrote:

I always thought Ride the Wild Wind was a missed opportunity. I think it would have been big in the U.S..

Also, Who Wants to Live Forever should have been released as the single in America and would have changed the fortunes for AKOM.

It was released in Poland and went to Number 1.

philip storey user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 711 posts

Posted: 24 Jan 20, 18:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Hot Space could have done better if they had replaced "Body Language" and "Back Chat" with "Dancer" and "Action This Day." As for "Calling All Girls" I would have gone for "Life Is Real."That track very much reminds me of "It's A Hard Life."

MyHumanZoo user not visiting Queenzone.com
MyHumanZoo
Bohemian: 119 posts

Posted: 24 Jan 20, 19:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Agreed PrimeJive, I think Ride The Wild Wind is a great song, it would have done well in the US.

cobohall user not visiting Queenzone.com
cobohall
Champion: 80 posts

Posted: 24 Jan 20, 20:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Anything off of Hot Space, other than Body Language. Freddie shitting in an empty Sprite can while combing his hair with astroturf would have been a better choice. So, in other words, anything off of Hot Space, or Whitesnake's1982 Saints and Sinners album(which I've never heard) would have been a better single to release. How the fuck did that single happen?

*goodco* user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1373 posts

Posted: 24 Jan 20, 21:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Holly2003 wrote:

They should have released "Fat Bottomed Girls" in 1974 instead of waiting until 1978. They were already playing it live and according to the movie it got a good reception.

Bravo! :-)

I was going to say 'Father to Son', but, oh gawd, I would have hated to hear a four minute butchered version.

Obvious choice: Stone Cold Crazy

"Discretionary posting is the better part of valor." Falstaff
*goodco* user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1373 posts

Posted: 24 Jan 20, 21:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

damn all the double posts................

"Discretionary posting is the better part of valor." Falstaff
Young Music Fan user is on Queenzone.com
Young Music Fan
Bohemian: 648 posts

Posted: 24 Jan 20, 21:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You And I in my opinion is the most commercial album track Queen never released as a single. I'm guessing the reason why they didn't release it was because it would've been deemed too similar to You're My Best Friend - especially if they released the song after Somebody To Love, the press would've rotten Queen because they would've accused them of using a formula which they knew produces hit singles; in terms of technicality, Somebody To Love sounds similar to Bohemian Rhapsody and YAI sounds like the follow-up to YMBF.

I personally rather YAI to YMBF - and Freddie said that he thought John's songwriting was getting a lot better by that point. I think that Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy should've been the b-side to Tie Your Mother Down and YAI the lead track on the EP as it slightly edges GOFLB on commerabilty (a dramatic intro and outro, and catchy, singalong lyrics) plus it would've meant an equal share of writing credits on the EP too.

mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 4838 posts

Posted: 24 Jan 20, 21:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I sometimes forget that GOFLB exists. Technically its a great song but slips under the radar. If (when) Queen re re re release A Day at the Races and Greatest Hits would anyone notice if it wasn't there?

Young Music Fan user is on Queenzone.com
Young Music Fan
Bohemian: 648 posts

Posted: 24 Jan 20, 21:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ogre Battle or The Fairy Feller's Master-Stroke was rumoured or suggested to be a possible follow-up single to Seven Seas Of Rhye. I can't remember where I read that but it's always been odd why there was only one single.

In my opinion I reckon that this would've been a great single...

A: In The Lap Of The Gods... Revisited (edited version with two choruses removed) / B: Stone Cold Crazy

This single would've reflected Queen's live show at this point with both being live staples on subsequent tours.

mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 4838 posts

Posted: 24 Jan 20, 21:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They would all have been horrendous choices for singles.

k-m user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 696 posts

Posted: 25 Jan 20, 00:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

stevelondon20 wrote:

PrimeJiveUSA wrote:

Nice to see lots of appreciation here for Ride the Wild Wind. I also think it's fantastic. What I think happened in Poland though is that the biggest Polish radio station at the time, which had a very popular chart show, decided they didn't like Headlong as a single and added The Show Must Go On to their playlist instead. That was in the summer, it did well and peaked at no. 3. It dropped out from the chart in early autumn, around the time it was officially released as a single in Europe. So, the same radio station had to figure out another replacement and they went with Ride the Wild Wind. Initially, it was also doing well, but not as well as The Show... and peaked at no. 14 while Freddie was still alive. It was still in the Top 20 in the week of his death and the following week it started to climb again, eventually reaching no. 1, as you said. The radio DJ who hosted the chart show (and still does) admitted some time later they made a mistake when they added The Show Must Go On to their playlist so early, because it wasn't in the chart anymore when Freddie died and would have been their biggest hit of all time had they waited until autumn. Instead, this proud title belongs to Days of Our Lives which spent 58 weeks in the chart, including 14 at number 1.

PrimeJiveUSA user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 713 posts

Posted: 25 Jan 20, 03:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

stevelondon20 wrote:

PrimeJiveUSA wrote:

That's not surprising to me.

GreatKingFairyFeller user not visiting Queenzone.com
GreatKingFairyFeller
Bohemian: 141 posts

Posted: 25 Jan 20, 05:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I’ve always felt a lot of the songs on the 70’s albums seemed like singles. Here’s my attempt though at what should’ve been.
Queen - Son and Daughter
Queen ll - Ogre Battle (long intro would’ve been edited)
SHA - Stone Cold Crazy and Brighton Rock
ANATO - Love of My life or a seriously cut down version of The Prophets Song
ADATR - White Man or The Millionaire Waltz
NOTW - My Melancholy Blues with Who Needs you as the b side
Jazz - If You can’t beat them with Dead on Time as the b side. Maybe Let Me Entertain You with Dreamers Ball as a b side as an American single.
The Game - Dragon Attack
Flash Gordon - The Hero with The Kiss or Football Fight as a B side
Hot Space - Action This Day
The Works - Tear it Up and maybe Man On the prowl
A Kind if Magic - Princes of the universe
The Miracle - Was it All Worth it
Innuendo - A double a side of Bijou and The Hitman
Made in Heaven - Mother Love or My life has been saved