Forums > Sharing The Music - Announce > Bittorent Information

forum rss feed
Author

The Wild Wind user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 25 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Nov 06, 23:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Can anyone answer what it means when bittorrent lists a seed (100%) and that address stays on the peer list for hours, and you don't get a single byte from it? Does it mean they are behind a firewall that is not allowing it to share?

agrasso user not visiting Queenzone.com
agrasso
Champion: 59 posts

Posted: 28 Nov 06, 12:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi, it's the Queenzone torrent out of work these days or it is just me?
All my Queenzone torrents aren't working, but other torrents are working perfectly...how come?

yuri78 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 11 posts

Posted: 24 Dec 06, 07:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

why me 5.0 don't work.
he sai impossible tracker queen zone.
why?
i'm italian excuse me for my english

verder27 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 4 posts

Posted: 25 Dec 06, 19:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Does anyone have a copy of the 1975 Christmas eve performance at the Hammersmith that would not mind sharing? It is my favorite Queen CD and I would love to have the DVD as well.

BobbytheCat user not visiting Queenzone.com
BobbytheCat
Champion: 74 posts

Posted: 12 Feb 07, 11:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm trying to download several files but there's nobody in the peerlist.
Do i just wait forsomeone to seed or can i choose it somewhere?

it's good 2 b bad
Ginger01 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2611 posts

Posted: 12 Feb 07, 14:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Two things :
1. Find the thread with the torrent you downloaded and add a message asking for seeders.

2. If someone says they are seeding but you don't see any evidence of this you might have a problem with your client. Try utorrent (www.utorrent.com) which generally works very well here.

Hope this helps!

BobbytheCat user not visiting Queenzone.com
BobbytheCat
Champion: 74 posts

Posted: 12 Feb 07, 15:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks Ginger,
I'll give it a try.
(",)

it's good 2 b bad
Silvia_71 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 147 posts

Posted: 26 Feb 07, 08:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ginger01 wrote:

Try utorrent (www.utorrent.com) which generally works very well here.

Please, I have BitTorrent and would like to change it with utorrent.
But what about all the torrent I'm downloading? Will I loose them??
Sorry if you already answer this question before...

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7638 posts

Posted: 26 Feb 07, 09:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I do not think you lose your unfinished torrents when you switch client as long as you do not move the files into other folders on your hard drive. The client (uTorrent) should hash the files and resume the download.

I do not want any google ads here.

Silvia_71 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 147 posts

Posted: 26 Feb 07, 12:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks a lot, I'll try...

tjbarrett96 user not visiting Queenzone.com
All dead, all dead...
tjbarrett96
Bohemian: 161 posts

Posted: 03 Aug 07, 15:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey guys, I've always had a lot of trouble with BitTorrent speeds. It's usually on an average of 10 - 20 kilobytes-per-second...is that speed normal? What could I possibly do to increase that speed?

I have to return some videotapes.
YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7638 posts

Posted: 21 Sep 07, 06:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The speed depends on the number of seeders, your connection and other applications you run on your PC, for example DC ++.

I do not want any google ads here.

asitbegan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 1 posts

Posted: 27 Sep 07, 09:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Uhmm
I've jusst downlaoded "(1975-04-23) Queen(Live in Kove) Kobe FLAC" and now I'd like to isten to it (of course)
But the file tehy're downloaded in is .flac, and as far as I know I can't play it

Help please

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10323 posts

Posted: 13 Nov 07, 08:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

asitbegan wrote:

Uhmm
I've jusst downlaoded "(1975-04-23) Queen(Live in Kove) Kobe FLAC" and now I'd like to isten to it (of course)
But the file tehy're downloaded in is .flac, and as far as I know I can't play it

Help please

Sometimes searching is enough :
http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/faq_category_view.aspx?Q=1&CATEGORY_NAME=Bittorrent

bohemianmoomin user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 152 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 07, 13:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've consistently had connection problems - it takes days to connect to torrents that are being seeded, even when seeders are definitely online,a nd sometime it never happens at all.
Any ideas what could be causing the problems?

Happy conference to you,

Happy conference to you,

Happy conference dear punters....

er....and we hope you have stew!
xaxaxx user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 65 posts

Posted: 12 Dec 07, 11:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, there really is a problem with the QZ tracker.

I'll start by giving a little background information in the shape of a simplified description of what happens when your client (uTorrent, or Azureus, or whatever you use) communicates with the tracker. I only mention the stuff that is relevant here, there is really much more taking place while communicating.

There are two basic types of communication between you and the tracker: scraping and announcing. When you scrape the tracker, you request (and get) information about how many seeders (with a complete set of files for the torrent) and "peers" (with an incomplete set of the files) the tracker knows about. These are the numbers that appear between brackets in your torrent client.

When you announce, the tracker receives and registers your IP address (and the port you use for incoming connections), and the tracker sends you a list of IP addresses for the other peers for that torrent. Then it is up to the peers to connect to each other - there can be connection problems that have nothing to do with the tracker, and there can be slow speeds that have absolutely nothing to do with the tracker. Most bittorrent problems have to do with peer communication, not client - tracker communication. If and when a connection is established with another peer, it will show up in your client as a number outside of the brackets in the seeder or "peer" column.

Now to the problem. It has happened several times that I haven't managed to connect to any peers for QZ torrents, even though I see them in those brackets, while torrents from other trackers work fine. Then all of a sudden, the QZ tracker will "kick in" and the torrents work as expected. It seems completely arbitrary. There is no telling when it will work and when it will not. Most of the time I use uTorrent for QZ torrents, but I have also loaded them in Azureus once in a while. It does not matter which client I use, which is not surprising since uTorrent and Azureus are both well-behaved clients. (Less well-behaved clients may cause problems because of poor implementation of the bittorrent protocol.)

Right now I am in one of those "can't connect" phases again. This time I decided to see what is going on by starting a couple of QZ torrents in Azureus and then check the log. (There is an option to have a very detailed log file created as Azureus runs - you don't have that option in uTorrent.) The problem is what I was beginning to suspect it was: even though my client sends an announce to the tracker, all I get is a scrape. I am told how many peers there are, but the tracker does not send me any IP addresses. Since I can leave the torrents open for days without making any connections, I suspect that the tracker doesn't register my IP address either. It treats my announce as if I were scraping.

There is nothing I, or any other user in this situation, can do about this other than wait and hope that the tracker decides to reply properly to an announce, as long as you use a decent client (like uTorrent) from the start.

It would be interesting to know if any admin has noticed this, though, and if there is possibly something that could be done about it. ;-)

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10323 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 07, 12:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FANTASTIC post ! FINALLY somebody who really CARES about problems. I unfortunatelly have no idea what's going on, but when this happens to me, usually the option "Update tracker" in uTorrent helps me to start the torrent. I don't know if this fact helps you somehow, because I have no idea what EXACTLY this option does :-(

Posted: 17 Dec 07, 19:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for the kind words and the advice, pittrek! Good to know that SOMEBODY ELSE cares. :)

Yes, updating the tracker may sometimes help. What you are actually doing when you click "update tracker" is making a so-called manual announce. Since the tracker sometimes responds properly when you announce, this certainly might help.

I did not want to recommend it, though. This is why:

You normally announce once every 30 minutes to the QZ tracker - the interval is set by the tracker. (It is one of those other things that happen when you communicate with the tracker.) The reason for the interval is to keep the load on the tracker down - every announce uses some resources. The QZ tracker is already showing signs of being overloaded at times. If you look at the icons in uTorrent, you will notice that they will go red once in a while, with an arrow pointing upwards or downwards depending on whether you are seeding or downloading. That suggests that the tracker could not respond to an announce - a typical sign of overload (or other connection problems). In fact, I wonder if overload is what is causing the problems with the mere scrape response to announces, too.

Anyway, the conclusion is that you may of course try announcing manually (updating the tracker) a few times, but don't do it too often. If a lot of people do it, the problems may in the end go worse. :(

bohemianmoomin user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 152 posts

Posted: 19 Jan 08, 12:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ok, I have a technical question regarding seeding. I am using a laptop with a small hard drive to download my concerts too, then ideally moving them over to my vast USB hard drive. I cannot download straight to the drive, but when I move them over, can I still seed them from the new location?

Happy conference to you,

Happy conference to you,

Happy conference dear punters....

er....and we hope you have stew!

Posted: 21 Jan 08, 18:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, you can. You just need to re-target the torrents - how to do that works slightly different for different clients. In uTorrent, stop the torrent (right-click and choose "Stop"), move the folder with the files to the new location, right-click the torrent and choose "Advanced - Set download location..." and browse to the folder with the files. If, for example, you moved a folder called "Queen - 1982-08-13 Chicago, USA [FLAC]", that's the one you should browse to.

In order to be extra careful, you can right-click the torrent again and choose "Force re-check". The client should end up saying that the torrent is 100% done. Then it's time for the final right-click, choose "Start", and you're back seeding. :)